Decisions

Drip.

"Fuck!" Jian winces from the alcohol on his bloodied hands. He takes a quick sip of it to numb the frustration inside of him. 

He and his men ran down possible leads through several boroughs to try and find any of the missing men who took the money. When he would report that no one is found to Xianmao....

{It shouldn't be this hard from the leads you received. They couldn't have left this quickly with everything going on. Do not show your face to me until it's done.}

That message rattles him inside. Between the lines, she called him useless again. He imagines Jia's face to soothe the volcano that wants to erupt.

"Master Jian?"

He shakes his head. "What is it, Fu?"

"Do you want to take a break fo-"

"So, I can continue to be a dishonor to the Triad?" He wraps bandages around his knuckles.

"Sir, you did your best today. Everyone knows that."

"One more place for tonight," before making a call. "I want men at every exit of Chinatown. We're going to scour from all sides going into the heart. They will be found today. Is that understood?"

"Shi de (Yes)."

He reloads his .45 mm handgun before staring at it. He vows to catch the traitors to get the promotion needed to save his sister's future.

Despite it being close to 1 in the morning, the streets of Chinatown are rustling with taxis, delivery boys, and drunk travelers stumbling their way to home.

"Sir, it's been a while since you ate. Let's get some quick food."

Jian sighs before giving him a small smile. "I appreciate you, Fu. You always looked out for me." He chuckles. "Am I that hopeless?"

"You aren't. A little help here and there, but I believe in you."

"Be honest. What complaints do you have about me?"

Fu's grip on the wheel doesn't change. "You have great potential. Great ideas and ambitions not only for yourself but for the Triad as well. Please, don't punish me for this next part."

"Go ahead."

"Xianmao......she squanders your potential at every turn. Like a mother bird that continues to chastise its young even after kicking them out."

Fu stares at Jian for his response. He sees him move the gun...back to his pocket.

"When this is done, she has to respect me. Right?"

"I don't see why not."

Something from the back of his mind kicks to the front. His college graduation day. Jia was full of smiles for her twin earning a Magna Cum Laude degree, a high distinction for his quality of work. He was elated that day, thinking grandma had to be proud of him.

Instead, she looked away from him.

"Nainai, we should celebrate-"

She smacked the end of her cane to the ground. "Why couldn't you earn Suma Cum Laude?" Her words almost froze him in place.

"What?"

"Are you deaf? An Hispanic got the highest distinction over you."

"But Gloria earned it. She-"

"I guess she didn't make excuses. Forget about a celebratory dinner."

Jia stormed up to her. "You will not-"