Chills

Leaves of brown and orange accompany the Asian trio leaving Orchidea's mansion.

Jian drapes his black jacket around Jia's shoulders before leading her back to the armored SUV. A tight squeeze with a side embrace. "Everything will be alright."

He keeps the plan to himself to avoid scaring her any further. They drive away to drink some soothing tea for Jia's health before returning to the apartment.

A firm, speedy grip on her shoulders stops her from exiting. Her eyes look back at him. He tilts his chin to the right. Her eyes follow...pupils shake from seeing their grandmother along with Yuxan.

He taps his sister's shoulders in a repetitive manner. That things will be alright.

He steps out of the vehicle and makes his way over to his employer. He bows before her. "Madame Xianmao, how are you?"

The Triad leader's rare smile sends a chill down his spine. "I am fine. I want to speak to you about something. You can tell Fu to drive Jia around town for a bit."

"I understand." He waves back at Fu while keeping his mind steady.

His assistant drives on with his twin sibling staring from the window. Teary eyes from what might happen to him.

"Would you like a drink?" He offers.

"No. It will be quick."

Her large, stocky henchman opens the door to her limo. His hand motions for him to enter.

Jian remembers his trusted 45 mm is within reach at his hip. Maybe he can accelerate the plan.

He enters the vehicle with Xianmao being helped inside. Hope leaves him.

Several of her faithful subordinates sit with crossed arms in their seats.

Xianmao sits opposite of her grandson with hands clutching her cane. A manilla folder rests besides her.

Slam. The door closes. The ignition cuts off.

He waits for her to make the first move.

"..What have you been up to today?"

A quick exhale from his nostrils. "I was helping Jia get acquainted with Orchidea. They seem to have gotten along well."

She scoffs. "No need to get cozy with her. But it has to happen. When it's her time, she will have to make sure not to step on any toes. And I assume you will have her meet with Kelpie and Vmey?"

"Exactly. She still needs more time because of her stress-"

"She will be ready just like I was. It's in her blood to be great."

A hidden insult that doesn't rattle him. Not anymore.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

"Something bothers me," she continues. "Why isn't Zixin responding to my calls?"

Zixin, the late fiancé of Jia. "I am not sure. I haven't seen him around."

A long exhale. "Maybe it was best that he disappeared. His mouth was too big for his brain. No matter. I will just arrange a new fiancé for her. My legacy will be secured despite her "problem".

Jian's left eyebrow raises up. He plays dumb. "What problem?"

She sighs. "That Magna Cum Laude degree was a waste of your time. How could you not know your sister has a girlfriend on the side?"

"She-She did? How-"

She tosses the folder to him. He opens it to find photos of her kissing the brunette woman. His breath hitches to play up his stupidity.