Run & Hide

Rafael finishes buttoning the shirt on Luis whose eyes almost pop out of their sockets. El Segador (The Harvester) is helping them, but why?

Despite the startled looks on their faces, his face is blank from hearing his prior codename. Based on the rings, he knows she's their boss. He holds the questions in his mind so they can leave this place.

"Head on down," he calmly tells them while grabbing a flashlight.

Alejandro finally moves his feet to help Luis down the hidden staircase. The others arm up with guns while Rafael takes a duffel bag out from under the bed to stuff the sniper rifle parts and ammo. He moves the pillow for a silver revolver with a wooden grip. He turns to the mafiosa who's eyes are fixed on his tattoo.

Questions are exchanged through their eyes, but they don't have time for that. He hands her the gun.

"Signora, don't forget who I am."

Bianca's hand almost trembles until she grips the gun. She questions why he's leaving his fate in her hands. She checks the chamber to find it full before rejoining her men.

He takes a deep breath before entering the darkness with a turned-on flashlight. He finds they are waiting for him to lead them out. Bianca notices a partial smirk on his face before he closes the trapdoor of his "retired" life.

He leads them through the brick corridors. Their footsteps echo in the brick tunnel. A foul odor penetrates their nostrils. A couple of small rats are paddling through the sewer water with their feet.

El Segador looks at Bianca. "Do you have a doctor for him?"

She quickly thinks. "We do but we need to be smart. Do you know of Guiseppe's Bakery?"

"Which street is that on?"

"22nd Street." She checks her phone. "We need to go left."

He nods and they start jogging. Sirens blare above them heading to the scene of unfolded chaos.

"Luis, I order you not to die on me," Orchidea whispers without looking back.

"I will try not to," he winces.

She keeps her eyes on the man with conflicted emotions. Despite his real identity, she wonders if their lives can mesh now that they work in similar "fields". She wonders why he vanished years ago. Why he chose to work at a flower shop. Was their conversation genuine?

"Do....you know what you got yourself involved in? Who I even am?"

His dark chocolate eyes look back. "I just wanted to help."

"That's the stupidest reason! You could have stayed out of it."

"I could have, yet your ojos and something else persuaded me."

Her heart thuds against her sternum from his near flirtatious comment.

"What is that something else?"

He stays silent, hiding the real motive. She keeps racking her brain. Killing him was out of the question. Anyone who helped her would be rewarded. The code of her ex-husband that she maintained all this time.

He was living peacefully until I came along. I owe him a new life. 

Something crosses her mind as she looks back at her men. The Triad knew about her trips to the floral shop. They couldn't have followed because of Luis' careful driving........

They reach the label for 22nd street under an opening. Rafael climbs the steps nearby to a grated opening. He pops up to see what's happening at street level. Cars pass without a Triad member in sight. 

"It's safe. And I see the bakery."

He offers his hand to pull out the mafia boss. She takes it to get out. She's almost frozen by the soft chocolate eyes looking at her. They help the others get up while trying to avoid unnecessary attention.

They run over and enter Guiseppe's Bakery.

The baker straightens up upon seeing her and her men. The injured driver is helped towards the back.

He doesn't question what happened nor the stranger with them. She gives him a warm smile and motions with her hands. The baker understands and brings her keys and a teal work shirt.

"Grazia," before handing the shirt to El Segador. "Best for you to come with us."

He understands and throws on the shirt. Part of her is amused that he looks great no matter what clothes he's wearing.

"Something wrong?"

She shakes her head. Her men keep their mouths shut while keeping an eye on him. They take off in a delivery truck to head for the assigned clinic. An alleyway with a guard standing outside. After showing her ring, the guard pushes a button to let them in.

They quickly enter through a dimmed room that forces Rafael to adjust his eyes. Luis is helped through some doors while a few stay with their boss and the assassin of legend.

She takes out a pack of cigarettes and lights one without a trembling hand. "Oh, would you like one?"

"Sorry, I don't smoke."

She stares at him while taking a long inhale. Now that they're safe, he takes her in. That sad smile is on his face. "Oh, you have some dirt on your leg. Are you alright?"

She exhales deeply to the side. "I'm fine.....I have many questions that I need answers to."

"To start, my name is actually Miguel, not Rafael."

Her eyes widen a bit in surprise. That wasn't a question in mind. She buries that feeling to press on. She taps her cigarette. "Was the floral shop a front?"

He shakes his head no. "A temporary escape. It's true what they said. You can't run from your past."

The pain lingers off of every syllable. Another layer to the mystery man.

"Why did you drop off the map?"

He grips his knees in response to that question. His pupils shake as he glances around. He squeezes them shut. "Uno....dos....tres...

The men give him a puzzling look. Their boss raises a hand to keep them silent as he continues to count slowly in Spanish.

"Siete......ocho."  A shaky exhale becomes calm like a lake. "I don't feel comfortable sharing that."

"Miguel-"

His smile widens upon hearing her say his name. Authoritative, yet sweet.

"Is it related to the "something else" you mentioned?"

He nods.

"My name is Bianca Petali or La Orchidea."

"It suits you."

She takes a step towards him. "What do you mean?"

"Flowers take on a couple of meanings depending on location. In Italy, it means strength. What you're showing even now."

She forces her eyes to not let a moment of weakness go unnoticed.

He picks up on that and changes the subject. "What will you do with me?"

"I would need to reward you for your help. I can give you a new life-"

"It's better that you end it."