Falling

Marco lets his boss enter Diego's apartment to check on her child. The stocky man with a build of a pitbull leans back to relax.

Teary emeralds meet the spitting image of her daughter. From the green eyes to the straight silky black hair. Her daughter gasps from seeing the bandaged shoulder wound.

Bianca embraces her child who doesn't return the favor. She plants numerous soft kisses on the side of her head. "Are you okay? I'm so sorry. I didn't expect Richie to do all of this. Let's leave and-"

Her child pushes her away. "How could you?"

The question stuns her. "What?"

"You lied to me! You and Dad!"

Bianca reaches for her hand, but she pushes it away. She walks behind the table to keep distance between them. Marco stays in place, not knowing what to do.

Her mother doesn't take a step further. "La mia fragola (My little strawberry), what is it?"

"Don't call me that! Not after what you both did!"

She figures out that Isabella knows about the Petali Organization. "You need to understand-"

Her daughter spins around in fury. "What? That you both murder? That you bribe the police? The countless crimes?"

Bianca sighs. "I don't deny what we did. But we had to do that to keep you safe."

Isabella almost delivers a freezing stare of her own. "Safe?"

"You know what I mean. I will be honest with you."

"Why....did you take over after dad?"

"It was a spur of the moment, but I wanted to be the protector of this family."

"Funny how that turned out," her words laced with venom.

"Ms. Petali, don't be rude!" Marco scolds her. A raised hand by her boss has him bite his tongue.

"You must feel so powerful when you do that. Is that what you want for me?"

She shakes her head. "I want you to pursue your dreams. I don't want this life for you. I tried to hide this from you, but....."

"You hid something else from me. My half-brother."

Bianca's stomach flip flops. "I...was going to tell you when you got better. How did-"

Isabella clutches her arm. "Right after dad's death. An envelope came with his name on it. The same handwriting like before. Dad said it was from a friend so I opened it.....I saw him. A younger copy with his smile and looks. His cake with ten candles on it."

Her daughter marches up to her. Judging her for everything.

"Isabella, listen-"

"No! He cheated on you...and you stayed?!"

"It's not that easy to understand. Your father wasn't perfect, but we worked it out. We did it for you."

Tears flow down her daughter's face. "Don't say that! You both lied to me!"

Bianca's hands are swatted away from comforting her child. She stands still, letting her child process her emotions. Isabella turns her back to her. Her sniffling breaks her parent's heart.

"Was....anything I did praiseworthy or was it because of you?"

"Everything you do is praiseworthy, my child. That will never change."

"I don't believe you."

She relays to her particular times that made her question things. How her last name would drop a blanket of fear into the room. The sickly-sweet talk that her classmates and teachers would give her.