Duel

New York, 11am

Ring......Ring.... "Hello?"

Bianca slowly exhales. "Hi, Maria. Is..Is Isabella there?"

"Just a minute. I will pass her the phone."

While the mafia queen waits, she resists the urge from tapping her right heel on the floor. She almost laughs that her late husband's mistress and her are getting along. Deep down, she's thankful that Maria is watching over her daughter.

"Here she is, Bianca. Take your time."

"Thanks."

Silence greets her. The mob boss takes the first leap.

"You have every right to be mad at me. I lied to you. I thought about our talk...I signed paperwork transferring leadership to Luis. I'm leaving the things you abhor to him. I want to just enjoy my time with you, Miguel, and the new child I want to adopt. I will be only involved in legitimate work. If something happens to me today......just live out the life you want to have.

I love you, Isabella. You will always be my greatest pride."

She allows her daughter time to process what could be her final words. 

Sniffle. "Mom?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry for what I said. You were excited to be a mom again."

She smiles. "Apology accepted."

"I...have to go now."

"Okay. Be safe."

The call disconnects. A moment of relief washes through the current mob boss. If things fall apart, at least they spoke.

She turns right into Miguel's arms. His charcoal suit presses against her violet sequin dress. His embrace pulling her deeper. She holds him in place to hear his heart. A melody that provides her more relief.

He lifts her chin to gaze into her emeralds. "That won't be the last time you two speak. I promise you that."

Bianca smiles at her wonderful husband. "I'm so glad you're with me."

"As am I. I wouldn't change how we met. Plus....you didn't kill that cactus."

A laugh escapes her plump lips. "Not yet."

"If you do, I will get you another one."

"Grazie, mi segador (Thank you, my harvester)."

"De nada, mi hermosa flor (You're welcome, my beautiful flower)."

He kisses her forehead before meeting with her lips. Time almost freezes for the newlyweds. Both thinking about their futures.

Miguel isn't worried. He thinks about opening his own flower shop while raising the children they will have together.

Bianca thinks of her daughter coming back into the fold. Their family getting bigger with the adopted children they will have. She breaks the kiss to welcome the new life awaiting them.

The harsh freezing emeralds of her past captivate El Segador.

She pulls on his red tie to follow her. "Let's kill that bitch."

.....

From Giuseppe's Bakery down to Toretto's Furniture Store, a loud silence occupies them. Their mouths don't say a word, but their minds ask questions.

"What if Signora Orchidea loses? What would Xianmao do to us? If Signora wins, will things remain the same?"

Eyes are on the clock as it almost reaches noon. Word of victory will spread like wildfire, changing both the Triad and the Petali Organization forever.