Rattle

Jian slowly opens his eyes. Turning over, he winces from the daylight striking his face. His head pounding like a drum from last night. He covers his eyes while groggily walking over to close the blinds. He blinks numerous times to find a glass of cold water with some aspirin nearby.  He finds his phone plugged in during his drunken state.

Bless the gods for Fu. I owe you one.

He gulps it all down to the last drop. Checking the time, it's past noon. And multiple calls from Xianmao which makes him think back to yesterday. How small she made him feel, not only as a subordinate but as a "loved one." 

His grip on the phone tightens. He wants to chuck it against the wall, but he stops himself. No matter how he answers, it won't undo the damage she did to him. He decides to text his response.

{Haven't found anything yet, Nainai. Still looking for a lead}

He will use today to make things right for them. Only then, will she give him the honor and acceptance he always wanted.

His eyes blink in disbelief. Multiple calls and messages from his twin sibling. He calls her back right away, thinking something has happened.

"Hey, xiondi!"

Despite her cheery voice irritating his head, he smiles that she sounds okay. "Morning, sis."

"You sound rough."

He lightly chuckles. "I had a wild time last night. How are you?"

A slight hesitation from her makes him think.

"Can we meet up for brunch?" She finally speaks.

"Are you okay?"

"I am. Let's meet to talk in person."

"Okay. Text me and I will be there in an hour."

"Hao de (okay)!"

His feet stumble to the shower while wondering about the tone in her voice. If her fiancé did hurt her, he will not hesitate to put him under the ground. The warm water hits the back of his dragon tattoo. Its mouth baring fangs at whoever tries to cross him. After putting on a fine black suit, he texts Fu to drive him since he's sobering up.

---

He arrives at a restaurant with his dark sunglasses on. He sees his twin sister in a simple blue dress and walks over to her with Fu staying behind to keep watch. Smiles light up on their faces as they embrace for the longest time.

"It's good to see you, sis."

"Same here. Let's get some food in that stomach before we talk."

"Okay. I will-"

His vision doesn't betray him. Three small intersecting triangles on someone's hand. Another guard from the Triad is close by. Jia's eyes tell him that they will discuss this soon.

After eating plenty of waffles, fried chicken, home fries, and fluffy scrambled eggs, they wait before they could discuss what's on their minds. Jia grasps his left hand. He feels her trembling and holds it with his right.

"Tell me when you're ready."

Her almond-colored eyes look at him with concern about how he will respond. He takes off his shades and blinks to get used to the light. He nods for her to go ahead.

Her lips quiver as she relays to him what their grandmother told her. Air leaves his lips as his feet dragged away from him. He stomps his foot on the floor to be strong for her. She didn't want any part of that life.

"Why did you sign it?"

"I...wanted to keep you safe."

"Jia, you had some freedom. You could have done anything but that."

"We came from the same womb. I'm not leaving you in danger."

He rubs his eyes until something came to mind. "What did she tell you about what almost happened to me?"

Jia tells him. He stares at her for the longest time.

"Jian?"

Her words aren't reaching him until he shakes his head. "Sis, you were manipulated."

She leans forward in response.

Her twin sibling tells her how their grandmother threw him to the wolves. That Orchidea spared his life. Jia bangs her hand against the table before wincing from the pain.

"I can't believe her", her voice rises. She hushes herself down. "That contract is ironclad. I'm so stupid!"

"It's not your fault. I will figure a way to get you out. If I can't, I will protect you. You deserve peace."

"And what about you?"

"I'm already used to this life."

Silence sits between the twins for a while. Jian puts his hands under the table to clench his fists for their grandma's manipulation. He relaxes them.

"Hey, want to break something?" He offers while paying the bill.

Her eyes squint at him.

"Come. I'll show you."

They and their guards head to an isolated building known for hosting rage room events. As they enter, muffled sounds of cracking, breaking, tearing, and loud music can't be ignored.

"Hello! How many will be participating," an employee with a red shirt greets them. 

"Just the two of us", Jian tells her. After an explanation and paying $20 for 5 minutes, the siblings wear protective suits, gloves, and helmets. The siblings grip the ends of baseball bats. A room of vases, jars, TVs, old laptops, and China dolls await them to be broken. A timer counts down to let them begin.

"Sis, release any stress you have in your body."

She nods. The timer buzzes. Jian doesn't hesitate to barge through the door to smash the fine China. Pieces scatter all around. He checks on Jia who bangs the laptop with her bat before throwing it against the wall. They continue to decorate the room with pieces flying all over the place.

Jia laughs from the damage they're causing. The fun of it all releases the stress placed on her.

The buzzer goes off.

"That was so-" She steps back. Jian is still wailing at the TV with everything he has.

"Sir! Sir! Time is up," an employee yells.

His rage compels him to continue with someone's face in mind.

"Brother, stop!"

Her voice brings him back to reality. He drops the bat. His eyes filled with regret for scaring his sister. Before they leave, Jia embraces him to his surprise.

"It's okay to be mad. Just don't lose to it."

He wraps his arms around her. Her words like hot tea on a frosty day.

"Love you, sis."

"Love you, too."

"If you're not busy tonight, want to grab dinner?"

She sighs. "I have a dinner with the fiancé."

He nods. "Okay. Let me know when you're free then."

He embraces her one more time before getting into his SUV. He plans in his head the next move. If I can capture the one responsible, I can use him as leverage for a promotion close to the top. Once she passes away, Jia can relinquish her role to me. I will not scare her in the process.

His eyes drift off to sleep to build energy for the rest of the day.