Sopresa

The door swings open. Water babbles down a wall to his left. Sunlight pours in through locked square windows. Beanbag pillows line up to the end of the room where hanging plants crawl down.

"Ms. Petali? Your mom-"

His silence gives him company in the empty room. "Boss. She's not here."

Lt Russo's heart kicks against his sternum. Imagining the woman lied to him, he storms back to the desk to find she also isn't there. His trigger finger twitches.

"Should we tell Signor?" his female subordinate asks.

He dismisses her with a wave. "No. We are going to find that receptionist and go from there. Spread-"

Bang!

It came from outside. The corrupt officers rush past the entrance. Lt Russo jumps to cover behind a pillar. The blood of his outside man decorates the driveway. A small item clatters near them.

The flash disorients their eyes. Ears ringing from the concussive blast.

"Stay in cover!" the lieutenant yells.

The loss in balance leads to the rest of his subordinates being sniped away. One by one. Lt Russo leans against the pillar to reorient himself. His vision blurs. Seeing more than double of his dead subordinates.

He smacks himself in the face to focus his senses. Two objects become singular. He taps his radio.

"I need backup at the Boca Recovery Center! Four down!"

.....

"Requesting backup!"

....

"Pick up, damn it!"

"Sorry. That part took some time," a thick Spanish accent flows like honey.

"Who the hell are you?"

He peeks his phone out to get a sense of where the sniper is.

"Just a friend of El Segador."

Bang!

A moment of delay before Lt Russo screams out. His fingers drop with his phone. They clatter to the floor.

He grips his bleeding hand. "Fuck! Fuck you!"

He now knows where the sniper is. He remembered a house across the rehab facility on the way in.

He takes off his jacket and wraps his left hand several times to stop the bleeding. Finding himself in a FUBAR situation, he can't outwait the sniper. Entering the facility again is risky, but it was the only way. He can phone Signor that things have gone wrong. And take a hostage.

His footsteps race to the entrance with his head low--

Bang! Bang! 

He grunts from the bullets lodged into the back of his vest. His body sprawls out from the impact. He attempts to crawl but bullet tears into his leg. 

He screams obscenities before the bullets of silence take over. The sniper waits several minutes before climbing down to inspect the scene. His hurrying feet towards Lt Russo before putting another slug into his head. He takes the dead officer's phone and uses his fingers to get through the biometric lock.

He sees the frequent contact "R" and texts the following. {We have acquired the package. What's the next step?}

The bubble for dots appear.

{Hold her until Orchidea comes for the ransom}

{Understood}

The sniper takes his phone to keep in contact. After sneaking back to the house for a change of a Hawaiian shirt and khakis, he pulls out his phone.