64. Never Not Love You

Aegon stared back at Vaera, hands rooted on his hips, a pout on his face. Vaera glanced back at him with a smile but Aegon shook his head solemnly as he approached her. 

"Hi honey, you got a frown on your handsome face." Vaera remarked touching his cheek. 

"What is this?" Aegon demanded putting his hand flat to her stomach. 

"I'm having another baby." Vaera remarked. A few moons in and her stomach was protruding out, a slight curve, clearly not weight gain to Aegon. 

"But..." Aegon didnt understand. He loved Vaera, Vaera and him were meant to be together. How did he get her pregnant, he didnt understand. Aegon was almost 8 and still very much knew that once he was strong enough to kill Daemon off, he would rescue Vaera and make her his own. 

"What's wrong honey?" Vaera coed running a hand through his hair. 

"Am I the father?" Aegon asked and Vaera choked on her tongue as she leaned back. "I don't know how babies are made, but I love you. It is enough?"

"Oh Aegon, sweetie no." Vaera tried to force down the laughter. "My husband, Daemon is the father." Vaera remarked. But Aegon didnt like that answer.

"Is it because I'm young? Because I will grow" Aegon assured. "I can love you longer than him, he is so old." 

"Aegon, honey, sweetie... you will find a nice girl your own age..." Vaera couldnt help but think that maybe her crush on Harwin started when she was little too and she didnt realize it. But she didnt say these things to him. It wasnt until she was 14, that she wanted more than just friendship with the men in her life. 

"Vaera, if he is hurting you, you can tell me. I will save you." Aegon whispered grabbing her hand. 

"Daemon is my husband. I love him very much." Vaera assured. 

"Okay, just blink if you want me to hurt him." Aegon suggested. 

"Aegon!" Vaera laughed out. 

"That was a blink. Don't worry I can be your knight in shining armor." Aegon declared but she didnt let go of his hand. 

"Aegon, I love you but I don't want you to hurt yourself. Daemon is not hurting me. He loves me. I'm glad to have another child." Vaera remarked. 

"But its not mine." Aegon repeated. 

"Correct."

"Correct.... it is mine?" Aegon countered. 

"Aegon, I love you. I love you but honey, this baby, no baby of mine..." How does one break little Aegon's heart gently? Vaera thought as she leaned over and kissed his cheek. "The day you take Ser Harwin and Daemon down in a proper duel... then we talk." Vaera informed him and Aegon nodded as he saluted her and headed out. 

"I will save you Vaera!" Aegon assured. "You can count on me." 

"Count on him to what?" Haemon countered coming up behind her with Aemond. 

"Save the day." Vaera offered. 

"No, I protect you. That's my job." Haemon reminded her. "He doesnt listen." Haemon turned around and shouted back at the door. "I PROTECT QUEEN MOMMY!"  Haemon declared. 

+

"Harwin..." He spun around and looked to Vaera. For as much as he was around her and Haemon he still hadnt properly talked. He didnt want to push her, pressure her into speaking with him. After all of Daemon's threats Harwin had tried to listen, tried to keep his distance as much as he could while still keeping an eye on her, protecting her. 

"Princess." He answered softly, he looked to Rhaegon in her arms, he smiled up at Harwin. 

"Might we talk?" Vaera asked softly.

"Yes." he answered without hesitation. "I would like that." 

"Wonderful." SHe tipped her head to the side and he followed her into the gardens. 

"Vaera, there is so much I want to say." Harwin remarked as she took a seat. 

"Me first." She requested sitting Rhae in her lap. 

"Of course." Harwin agreed sitting beside her. 

"I do love you Harwin." Vaera began and his heart felt full and he wished she stopped there but she didnt. "You were my first love." Vaera informed him. "I don't think I will ever not love you but... it's different... it's... difficult." Vaera's words drifted. "I love Daemon, he is my husband, he is a great father to the boys and a wonderful husband."

"I heard you were pregnant again." Harwin remarked. 

"I am." Vaera agreed and Rhae put a hand on her stomach as he smiled up at her. 

"Congratulations." Harwin whispered. 

"Thank you." Vaera answered. "I want you to be a part of my children's life, my life, as my friend, my oldest and closest friend since I was little... I don't want to lose you."

"You won't lose me, you could never lose me." Harwin assured. He wanted to hug her, he wanted to kiss her but he stayed put. 

"I know Haemon, well he hasnt gotten off on the best start with you but he's... he doesnt really like most people." Vaera offered. "It's not you." she assured. 

"I'm a stranger. I understand." Harwin told her softly. 

"I'm not going anywhere and you have all the time in the world to be his friend, help him train if you want..." Vaera stared back at him. "Haemon... I know what you think... I know what you hope for your relationship with him but Daemon is his father." Vaera reminded Harwin gently. "But that doesnt mean that you cant still be a part of his life." 

"I understand." Harwin assured but he felt a tightness in his chest. 

"You are always going to be my cookie knight." 

"And you are always going to be my little love."