53. Deja Vu

"Vaerrrrrrraaaaaaaaa!" She faltered in her step as she turned around. "What the heck was that?" Aegon demanded.

"Whats wrong Aegon?"

"Whats..." he huffed out a breath "wrong?"

"Sweetie Nyra needs me can we talk later?" Vaera offered.

"No, no, no, no! This needs to happen now." Aegon corrected.

"Honey I love you," Vaera assured kissing his forehead "but Nyra is about to push a tiny human from her body. She needs me." Aegon smiled back up at her happily.

"I love you too." Aegon replied in a happy daze.

"So I can-" she pointed a finger at Nyras chambers and Aegon nodded content. "Okay... okay..."

"Where did you fucking go?" Nyra demanded as she closed the door.

"Munchkin emergency." Vaera offered

"This!" She screamed pointing at her stomach "this is a munchkin emergency!"

"Okay, now I know-" Vaera began as Nyra screamed out. "-this is painful and going to be a pain in the ass and the cunt and the stomach and everywhere. But I'm right here!" Vaera assured as Nyra gripped tight to her hand. "Gods I forgot how strong you are." Vaera murmured.

"Another push!'

"Vaera, tell this cunt if she tells me to push again-" Nyra seethed.

"Yes, alright." Vaera agreed. "Stop talking." Vaera instructed kindly. "She knows. Push, push, push." Vaera looked to Nyra.

"You were not as mean about it." Nyra remarked.

"You want me to be mean or a supportive sister?"

"Can you not do both?"

"Princess, please pu-"

"IF YOU TELL HER TO PUSH AGAIN-" Vaera faltered. "I dont actually know what you were threatening them with." Vaera remarked softly and Nyra let out a pained laugh as she pushed again.

"Were Vaera's labors long?" Viserys asked and Daemon stared back at him. "Just a question, my daughter, I should have been there, you deprived me of that."

"I took good care of Vaera." Daemon assured.

"Well yes, I'm sure because you have three little ones." Viserys agreed.

"Very good care." Daemon assured. He looked to Harwin leaning against the wall. his eyes to the floor as he waited patiently. "You know I was thinking-"

"Daddy!" Haemon declared running down the hall.

"Hey bud." Daemon said picking him up.

"Where is mama?" Haemon asked.

"She is with your auntie."

"Can I go to?"

"Haemon has a bit of separation anxiety." Daemon remarked.

"Anyone would." Viserys assured "You think I was calm when my vaera disappeared? I was a wreck."

"She didnt disappear and she wrote to you and Rhaenyra." Daemon countered.

"Mama in there?" Haemon asked pointing at the door.

"Yes she is." Daemon agreed and Haemon wiggled in his arms. "But you can't go in there yet." Daemon told him and Haemon pouted back at him.

"Why not?"

"Because its going to be loud and messy and as soon as she is done, she is going to come out and give you a big hug. I know it." Daemon told him but Haemon was not satisfied with that.

"But I go hug her now?" Haemon countered. They heard an ear pinching scream from inside the room and Haemon's hands flew to cover his ears.

"See, loud." Daemon told him. Harwin watched them. How content Haemon was, how talkative he was with Daemon. How fatherly Daemon was to Haemon.

"Mama hurt?" Haemon said nervously as his lip quivered.

"No, no." Daemon coed. "Mama is fine. She is helping your aunt. She isnt feeling too well."

"Mama otay?" Haemon asked needing to be sure as he looked up with big eyes on the brink of tears.

"Mama is okay." Daemon assured. "I promise."

"Oh-tay." Haemon said through a deep breath. Another ear pinching scream and Haemon's hands flew to his ears. "MAMA?" Haemon shouted.

"I best bring him back to his room." Daemon remarked.

"Mama otay?"

"She is a-okay.' Daemon assured.  

+

''You must decide.''

''What?'' Vaera grabbed onto Nyras hand confused.

''The baby is in breech.''

Vaeras mother was in breech. They were going to kill Nyra.

''You must decide. The mother or the babe.'' Laenor hesitated but vaera did not.

''Nyra. Save Nyra!'' Vaera demanded but they looked to Laenor. he opened his mouth debating. ''Dont look at him. Look at me.'' Vaera demanded ''save my sister!''

''As her husband he has the-'' vaera stood up and pushed laenor back slamming him into the wall.

''My sister. My blood.'' Vaera hissed. Laenor nodded nervously as vaera let him go. ''Save my sister.'' Vaera demanded. They glanced back at laenor. ''Dont look at him he cant help you, you have to save my sister.'' Vaera demanded

''Right away princess.''

Vaera held tight to Rhaenyras hand as she screamed and moaned out. Laenor stood nervously in the corner of the room for the fear that Vaera would snap his neck.

It seemed to go on forever. The screams. The pain. The blood.

Vaera kissed Rhaenyras forehead telling her it was all going to be okay. She was doing great. She was going to be okay.

But with each whimpered word Vaera felt Nyras grip loosen on Vaeras hand and more and more blood pooling around her.

"N-nyra?" Vaera sobbed out. "N-N-Nyra..."

But Rhaenyra didnt make it. Neither did the babe. But little silver tuffs on his head of dark skin. Laenor couldnt believe that it was actually his. They had tried on and off but the love wasnt there.

It felt like déjà vu of the most important people in her life... gone. Just like that. Vaera sobbed and sobbed. She clung to Rhaenyra as her body grew cold and stiff.