12. Daughters

Vaera Targaryen had never been so happy to be the baby of the family. She saw the stress and pressure her father was under as the king and having no brothers she assumed that Rhaenyra would become his heir. What a heavy burden to bear.

+

'Your Grace.' The door opened and Rhaenyra approached her father and her little sister, Vaera. Viserys was holding Vaera up to the flames.

'Father. Vaera.' Vaera waved over at her happily as Viserys put her down.

'Balerion was the last living creature to have seen Old Valyria before the Doom. Its greatness and its flaws. When you look at the dragons, what do you see?' Viserys questioned as his fingers tranced along the monument. Vaera looked up at them confused.

'What?' Rhaenyra questioned confused. 'You haven't spoken a word to me since Mother's funeral, and now you send your Kings guard down...'

'Answer me. It's important.' Viserys told her.

"Dragons." Vaera whispered to Rhaenyra with a smirk.

'What do you see?' Viserys pushed

'I suppose I see us.' Rhaenyra answered

'Tell me.' Viserys urged.

'Everyone says Targaryens are closer to gods than to men, but they say that because of our dragons. Without them, we're just like everyone else. The idea that we control the dragons... is an illusion. They're a power man should never have trifled with. One that brought Valyria its doom.' Rhaenyra told him.

"I don't want to be like everyone, I like my dragon." Vaera told them confidently.

'If we don't mind our own histories, it will do the same to us. Targaryen must understand this to be King... or Queen.' Viserys told her confidently.

'What?" She didn't understand.

"Nyra for Queen!' Vaera declared.

'I'm sorry, Rhaenyra. I have wasted the years since you were born... wanting for a son.' Viserys told her sadly. 'You are the very best of your mother. And I believe it, I know she did, that you could be a great ruling queen.'

'Daemon is your heir.' Rhaenyra reminded him.

'Daemon was not made to wear the crown. But I believe that you were.' Viserys told his daughter confidently. 'This is no trivial gesture, Rhaenyra. A dragon's saddle is one thing, but the Iron Throne is the most dangerous seat in the realm.' Viserys warned

'Corlys of House Velaryon, Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark.' Mellos introduced

'I, Corlys Velaryon, Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark, promise to be faithful to King Viserys and his named heir, the Princess Rhaenyra. I pledge fealty to them and shall defend them against all enemies in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new.'

' I, Lord Hobert Hightower, Beacon of the South, Defender of the Citadel, and Voice of Oldtown, promise to be faithful to King Viserys and his named heir, the Princess Rhaenyra. I pledge fealty to them and shall defend them against all enemies in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new.'

'I, Boremund Baratheon... promise to be faithful to King Viserys...'

'There's something else that I need to tell you. It might be difficult for you to understand, but you must hear it. Our histories... they tell us that Aegon looked across the Blackwater from Dragonstone, and saw a rich land ripe for the capture. But ambition alone is not what drove him to conquest. It was a dream. And just as Daenys foresaw the end of Valyria, Aegon foresaw the end of the world of men.' Viserys told her letting out a long sigh. ''Tis to begin with a terrible winter gusting out of the distant north.'

'I, Rickon Stark, Lord of Winterfell...'

'Aegon saw absolute darkness riding on those winds. And whatever dwells within will destroy the world of the living. When this Great Winter comes, Rhaenyra... all of Westeros must stand against it. And if the world of men is to survive, a Targaryen must be seated on the Iron Throne. A king or queen, strong enough to unite the realm against the cold and the dark. Aegon called his dream "The Song of Ice and Fire." This secret... it's been passed from king to heir since Aegon's time. Now you must promise to carry it... and protect it. Promise me this, Rhaenyra. Promise me.'

"Can I do it too daddy?" Vaera questioned and Viserys nodded.

"I, princess Vaera Targaryen, promise to be faithful for king Viserys and his named heir, Princess Nyra." Vaera declared and Rhaenyra reached a hand out and touched her little sisters cheek. "I forgot the rest." Vaera whispered embarrassed.

''I pledge fealty to them and shall defend them against all enemies-' Mellos told her. ''-in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new.'

"-Old Gods and the new." Vaera declared hugging Rhaenyra.

'Thank you Vee." Rhaenyra whispered as Vaera took a step back into her guard Ser Harwin. She smiled up at him.

' I, Viserys Targaryen, first of his name... King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm, do hereby name... Rhaenyra Targaryen Princess of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne.'

+

"Daemon you missed it!" Vaera declared. "What are you doing out here all alone?" Vaera questioned, she was coming to check on Calypso when she saw Caraxes. 

"I heard he named Rhaenyra, today was the day." Daemon agreed. 

"Yes. I even got to say the I plead fealty vow to." Vaera informed him happily. 

"I think you would make a lovely Queen." Daemon remarked. 

"I'm to little." Vaera countered. "When I sit in Dad's seat at the council table my feet don't hit the ground yet." Vaera informed him. 

"Size doesnt matter when you are ruling.' Daemon informed her. 

"It helps to be able to see over the people in front of you though." Vaera offered. 

"Maybe one day you will be a queen." Daemon offered. 

"I dont want Nyra to die." Vaera said immediately. "I don't want a crown either." 

"You dont have to be queen of westeros." Daemon told her as Calypso walked up, hearing her voice he nudged against her. 

"I'm happy with my current title." Vaera informed him. 

"One day... when you older I hope you find a man that treats you like a queen, no matter your official title." Daemon informed her and Vaera blushed turning to Calypso. 

"Have you found your queen?" Vaera offered running her nails along Calypso's large nose. 

"I'm looking at her." Vaera turned to him to see him staring down at her and Vaera cracked a smile in the darkened dragon pit.

"You're a joker uncle Daemon."

"And you are my queen to be."