56. Shimmer

Viserys was saying the words but Vaera wasnt processing. Heir. Vaera. Crown.

Daemon held tight to Vaera as she shook her head. He wasnt saying anything that made any sense at all. She wasnt the heir, Nyra was. She didn't understand. Vhaegon started to fuss and she pulled away moving to the crib.

"Vaera, love please... just listen to me. Listen to me..." Viserys begged. "You are my heir."

"It's okay, mama's is right here." Vaera coed bouncing Vhaegon in her arms.

"Vaera, are you listening?"

"No. I'm not." Vaera corrected. "I'm not listening. I'm not listening. This is all wrong. I'm... no. I'm Vaera. I'm the baby, I can't have this sort of responsibility."

"Vaera, you are my baby girl, but you are a woman grown, three little ones. A husband... Vaera I know you can do this." Viserys corrected.

"Daddy no." Vaera whimpered. "I just want Nyra back."

"I want her back too." Viserys whispered. "You are my heir."

''Daddy I don't want it.'' Vaera sobbed. ''I dont want it. I want Nyra back.'' Vaera sobbed out. ''Daddy please-''

''You are my heir vaera. You have always been my first choice but you were young. Wild. Free. I knew you didnt want it but as the years passed I knew more and more that were the queen we needed." Viserys remarked.

''Daddy no. Nyra wanted it. I dont. She would have been a good queen.'' Vaera sobbed out.

Vaera had a sob in her chest that shook her to her core.

+

"I look ridiculous." Vaera murmured messing with the crown on her head.

"You look beautiful." Daemon corrected.

"There is too much, too much, it is very much, muchness!" Vaera declared pulling at the formal gown and golden chains.

"Vaera, gorgeous, stop..." Daemon whispered stepping closer as she tore at her dress, golden necklaces dropping with a heavy thud.

"Daemon I can't. I just... cant..." Vaera whimpered. "Take this stupid thing-" she tugged at her hair trying to get the crown off. "Daemon get it off!" Vaera begged.

"Vaera, Vaera," Daemon held her to him as she sobbed out.

"I don't want it." She whimpered into him.

"I'm so sorry love." He rested his chin on the top of her head as she sobbed into him. He ran a calming hand over her back and he felt the shaky rise and fall of her chest with every broken breath. "You take all the time you need." Daemon assured.

"I don't need time, I need Nyra." Vaera corrected as the door opened and Haemon ran in.

"Look at me!" Haemon declared. Daemon glanced to the door to see Harwin. He tipped his head to them as he pulled the door closed. "I'm so fancy!" Haemon declared. "Look at this!" he held up a little gold necklace. "Are we rich?" Daemon chuckled as Haemon spun around in his outfit for Vaera's Heir declarations.

"So handsome you are." Vaera agreed.

"Mama, your dress ripped. We are really rich now, we can get you a new one." Haemon informed her.

"You would think we were living in a hobble." Daemon remarked.

"We starved him of all the sparkiest of things apparently." Vaera agreed. Haemon strut around the room before turning to them laughing out.

"I don't really like the shoes." Haemon remarked. "Is your head okay mama?" Vaera's hand went to her crown hanging loosely from her braid disheveled hair.

"Hey bud, can you pick out mama a new dress while I fix her hair?" Daemon asked pointing to the dresses on the bed.

"You can count on me!" Haemon declared jumping up on the bed. Daemon sat Vaera down and untangled the crown from her hair. She stared back at him in the mirror as he brushed out her hair.

"Thank you, Daemon." Vaera whispered grabbing his hand.

"I'm your husband." Daemon reminded her. "You have always been my little Queen." He added kissing her cheek.

"I want to wear the necklace you gave me," Vaera remarked. Daemon chuckled as he got it from the dresser, memories flooded back to him. It seemed like forever ago.

~

"Don't give me that look, I got you something.' Daemon held out a necklace, Rhaenyra's fingers reached for it but he snatched it back. 'But if you are going to have attitude I'm not going to give it to." Daemon mused.

"I want it!" Vaera declared.

"Do you know what it is?' Daemon questioned

'It's Valyrian steel.' Vaera answered eagerly.

'Like Dark Sister.' Daemon said touching the sword at his hip. 'Turn around. Now... you and I both own a small piece of our ancestry.' Daemon said clasping it onto her. Vaera's face turned into a pout as Rhaenyra left not nearly as appreciative as daemon thought she would be. "Don't worry I got you something too." Daemon assured and Vaera's smile was back as she smiled up at him. "You like it?" it was different from Rhaenyra's thinner, less bulky, even more beautiful Vaera thought. She nodded eagerly. "Turn around little love." Daemon told her and she lifted her hair as she turned her back to him. Her fingers went to it. "So beautiful." Daemon said kissing her cheek.

"Thank you Uncle Daemon, I will never take it off!" Vaera declared.

"That is appreciation." Daemon told her crouching down as she jumped on his back. "I'm never getting Rhaenyra a gift again. Only you." Daemon told her.

~

"This one!" Haemon declared holding up a white dress that had so much golden inlay that every step Vaera took she shimmered.

Her fingers reached for the necklace as she made her way down the aisle. She took a deep breath as her gaze shifted around the room. Each step she felt more and more like she was never for this. She couldnt do this when the time came. Each shimmering step she took she wanted to run away but then she looked to Viserys as he sat on the iron throne. He rose as she got closer.

He looked to the simple braid pulling the hair back from her face, the delicate necklace, the shimmering dress, her heels clicked with every step she took.

Viserys thought back to Rhaenyra's outfit, the dark dress, the crown and intricate braiding wrapping her hair up high into itself, the bulky jewelry.

Vaera's hair flowed around her shoulders, her steps were small but when she met his gaze he hoped she saw the overwhelming pride and joy in seeing her accept this. She spun her ring on her finger before letting out a deep breath and turning towards the people, her people.