34. Get Better So I Can Hate You

Fury // Harwin Strong out now!

''Ser Criston... you've been summoned.''

''I left the Princess just minutes ago.'' Criston countered

''Not the Princess, ser. The Queen.''

"Ser Criston, Your Grace." A handmaiden said as the door swung open, Criston took cautious steps into the queens chambers.

''That will be all.'' Alicent agreed and passed off her screaming daughter, she wasn't fond of her children. ''I fear I must question you on a, on a delicate matter, Ser Criston.''

''I am your servant as always, my Queen.''

''It concerns our dear Princess Rhaenyra. Please.'' Alicent pat the spot next to her and waited for him to sit next to her. hesitantly he removed his sword from his hip and sat stiffly next to her.

''You are her sworn protector and rightly loyal to her.'' Alicent remarked.

''I am.''

''The night of Daemon's return... there's been a rumor... or rather, my father received an accounting of... a lapse of morals that may have occurred between... It is, of course, unthinkable for me to question the virtue of the Princess, whom I hold in highest regard, but, I-I, I did, however, wonder if... I'm not unaware that in flush of youth... there may be errors made...'' Alicent didn't know how to say it but she needed to know her father was a good and right man. Alicent let out a long sigh as she looked to Criston.

''breaches in resolve, breaches, or rather lapses...''

''It happened, Your Grace.... The sin you allude to. I have committed it. At her instigation, it is true, but that should... It is no excuse.' Criston agreed as he stood up. ''My oath has been broken. I have dishonored myself. I deserve no consideration. But if... as a clement Queen, you are inclined to pity... I would ask only this... that rather than gelding me and having me tortured... you would sentence me mercifully to death.'' Criston offered.

''Thank you for your honesty, Ser Criston. You may go.'' Alicent informed him and he stared back at her but she seemed content.

+

''Rest now, Your Grace. I will bring the leeches.'' Mello said as Viserys lay back exhausted and weak.

''If I may, Grand Maester, I took the liberty of preparing a fresh set of herbal poultices that might be more... effective.'' Maester Orwyle offered.

''That will not be necessary, Orwyle.'' Mellos assured ''The leechings have always brought His Grace relief." He assured as he headed out.

''To help him sleep.'' Orwyle offered the bottle popping the top to Lyonel.

"You are jerk you know that?" Vaera hissed.

"I'm sorry Vaera, I truly am." Viserys told her.

"I'm supposed to be mad at you and you fall over and die on me!" Vaera shouted "How am I supposed to be mad at you when you are dying!"

"I'm not dying-'

'Leeching. They such leeches on you and drain you of, toxins? Poisons? Father what is going on?" Vaera begged.

"I'm sick baby." Viserys admitted. "But Maester mellos is going to get me better."

"Father...' Vaera said weakly.

"Vaera, I'm so sorry." Viserys told her. "Marrying you is not a punishment, I love you and want you here. But..."

"Duty and honor and all that dragon shit." Vaera said miserably. "I wont leave you, not while you are like this."

"What if we don't worry about it for now." Viserys offered. "He said to be very handsome."

"Father." Vaera whined.

"I'm fine love, get some rest." Viserys assured kissing her hand.

"I love you... get better so I can be mad at you again." Vaera instructed and Viserys gave a pained laugh.

"Alright love." Viserys hugged her gently and watched her go before looking to Lyonel. ''Where's the Queen?''

''I was given to understand that she is otherwise occupied, Your Grace.''

''Will I be remembered as a good king, Lyonel?'' Viserys said with a sigh.

''Your Grace?''

''What will they say of me when the histories are written? I have neither fought nor conquered, nor suffered any great defeat.'' Viserys remarked.

''Some might call that good fortune.''

''It hardly makes a good song, does it? To be sung at feasts in a hundred years... five hundred.'' Viserys said pathetically.

''You have carried King Jaehaerys's legacy. And kept the realm strong.'' Lyonel corrected but his answer didn't satisfy Viserys. ''Is it not better to live in peace than to have songs sung after you are dead?''

'Perhaps. But there is a part of me wishes I'd been tested. I often think that in the crucible, I may have been forged a different man.''

'' Many that are tested, only wish to have been spared it. ''

''Another lord might assure me that I would rise like Aegon the Conqueror given the chance.'' Viserys remarked bitterly.

''Your Grace, that is... You're right. You're right... as always." Lyonel told him.

''It is perhaps best not to know.'' Viserys countered drinking the potion. 

+

"Harwin..." Vaera whispered. 

"Yes little love?" 

"Could you stay tonight... I dont want to be alone." Vaera told him. 

"Of course." Harwin assured. He closed her silently then pulled her close to him pulling the covers up over them. He felt her relax into him. 

"I love you Harwin." Vaera whispered. 

"I love you Vaera." He echoed.