57. I Promise

'Corlys of House Velaryon, Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark.' He stared bitterly at Vaera as he moved forward. Laenor, had failed to produce an heir and now they would never be on the throne. Vaera let out a shaky breath as she looked to Daemon. Haemon in his arms he offered her a smile. Haemon waved back at her.

"Is mama sad?" Haemon asked Daemon.

"She is going to be queen one day." Daemon corrected.

"She doesnt look happy." Haemon remarked. "I think she needs a hug."

'I, Corlys Velaryon, Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark, promise to be faithful to King Viserys and his named heir, the Princess Vaera.... I pledge fealty to them and shall defend them against all enemies in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new.'

"I think you are right." Daemon agreed as he put Haemon down and he ran forward hugging Vaera's legs.

"Hi baby." She whispered picking him up.

"You needed a hug." Haemon told her and Vaera nodded holding him to her.

"I did and your hugs are the best." Vaera agreed. Her eyes drifted to Daemon and then Harwin before looking to Haemon as he kissed her cheek.

' I, Lord Hobert Hightower, Beacon of the South, Defender of the Citadel, and Voice of Oldtown, promise to be faithful to King Viserys and his named heir, the Princess Vaera. I pledge fealty to them and shall defend them against all enemies in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new.'

'I, Boremund Baratheon... promise to be faithful to King Viserys...'

"You get to wear a crown?" Haemon whispered.

"I suppose so." Vaera agreed.

'I, Rickon Stark, Lord of Winterfell...'

"I Daemon Targaryen-"

"Hi daddy!" Haemon declared waving back at him.

"Hi buddy." Daemon replied as Vaera chuckled tipping her head into Haemon. "I, Daemon Targaryen, prince of Dragonstone, promise to be faithful to King Viserys and his named heir, the Princess Vaera. I pledge fealty to them and shall defend them against all enemies in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new."

"Can I say it?" Haemon asked and Viserys chuckled.

"Your mother wanted to do the same thing." Viserys remarked. When Rhaenyra was anointed as heir little Vaera stood before them and said the sepal before hugging Rhaenyra tight and Vaera wanted to cry at the memory. Vaera put him down and he stood straight as the others did.

~
"Can I do it too daddy?" little Vaera had questioned and Viserys nodded.

"I, princess Vaera Targaryen, promise to be faithful for king Viserys and his named heir, Princess Nyra." Vaera declared and Rhaenyra reached a hand out and touched her little sisters cheek. "I forgot the rest." Vaera whispered embarrassed.

''I pledge fealty to them and shall defend them against all enemies-' Mellos told her. ''-in good faith and without deceit. I swear this by the old gods and the new.'

"-Old Gods and the new." Vaera declared hugging Rhaenyra.

'Thank you Vee." Rhaenyra whispered as Vaera took a step back into her guard Ser Harwin. She smiled up at him.

~

"I promise to protect and love mama." Haemon declared with a satisfied nod before reaching up for her.

"Thank you baby, my little protector." Vaera said peppering his face with kisses. Vaera turned to her father as he rose up from the throne.

' I, Viserys Targaryen, first of his name... King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm, do hereby name Vaera Targaryen Princess of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne.'

Vaera bowed her head forcing the tears to stay away. Haemon kissed her cheek looking up at her. She turned slowly, swallowing the lump in her throat. Everyone bowed before her. Vaera looked to Daemon as she tried to be brave.

Daemon walked forward speechlessly and hugged her. He felt her sigh into him.

"I promise, this pain won't last forever." Daemon whispered. "I promise, I will love you forever."