13. Keep You Safe

'Good morrow, my lords." Viserys said as he approached his council, Vaera sat in his seat rolling the small council stone around the table bored, he pressed a kiss to her cheek as he walked around her. "I have decided to take a new wife. I intend to marry..." Viserys looked around the council. "the Lady Alicent Hightower before spring's end." Vaera's face scrunched up as she looked over at Alicent.

"Who?" Vaera questioned. "Not her, surely." Vaera told him and he pat her shoulder's.

"This is an absurdity. My house is Valyrian, the greatest power in the realm." Corlys exclaimed.

"And I am your King." Viserys corrected. He stared back at his daughter. "Rhaenyra." But she stormed out as well. The door slammed closed behind her. "Vaera love could you check on your sister?" Viserys asked and Vaera slid out of her the chair walking slowly to the door she glanced back at her father he offered her a smile.

"Ser Harwin?"

'Yes Princess?" he fell into step next to her as they walked.

"Alicent Hightower is to be the next queen." She remarked and Harwin faltered in his step.

"Oh, that's...'

'Strange right?" Vaera questioned. "I mean she is a child, only a few years older than me, she is Nyra's best friend. I just don't understand. He loved mother, why her?" Vaera stopped walking and turned to him.

"The ways of the heart is a complicated thing." Harwin told her dropping to a knee before her.

"You think he loves her?" Vaera questioned confused.

"No, I think... he probably thinks it a good match." Harwin told her.

"I'm not a child you don't have to simplify it for me." Vaera told him.

"You just called Alicent a child and she is older than you." Harwin corrected and Vaera pursed her lips.

"I'm ten, and very mature." Vaera corrected.

"Yes you are." Harwin agreed. "Where are we headed princess?"

"Nyra's room, she stormed out," Vaera told him.

Vaera was a little thing, she thought she might never grow, she blamed her parents. She thought because her father always called her his little girl that he cursed her to stay little. Viserys thought it was due to her sugar consumption. She stared over at Harwin as they walked.

"Were you always tall?" Vaera questioned.

"What do you mean?" Harwin questioned.

"I don't think I'm ever going to get tall." Vaera told him. "I think I'm going to stuck at this height forever, am I dwarf?" Vaera exclaimed.

"You are not a dwarf. You are still growing." Harwin told her.

"Nyra is to be queen, father is going to find her a husband, which means he will want me to have a husband. What man would want me!" Vaera exclaimed.

"I think you have a few more years before you have to worry about that." Harwin remarked.

"No one wants a little person-'

'You are young and still growing, besides you are beautiful, you will have men lining up to be with you." Harwin told her.

"You think?"

"Beautiful." Harwin assured and Vaera beamed up at him.

"Alright, best you stay here, ignore any and all yelling, I'm sure its fine." Vaera told him as she pushed open Rhaenyra's door.