7. Act Now

'Prince Daemon of House Targaryen, Prince of the City, will now choose his first opponent!' the master of revels declared as Daemon made his way down the line of contenders. Walking back and forth before settling on his target he pointed his spear at Hightower the smuggest of looks on his face as he moved back.

'For his first challenge, Prince Daemon Targaryen chooses Ser Gwayne Hightower of Oldtown, eldest son of the Hand of the King.' The master of revels declared as the dumbs picked up their pace with anticipation.

'Five dragons on Daemon.'

'Ya!' The horses squealed and shrieked as they set off.  The crowd exclaimed with joy as the prince won. Daemon approached the viewing box.

'Nicely done, Uncle.' Rhaenyra said approaching him.

'Thank you, Princess. Now, I'm fairly certain I can win these games.... where is my little Vaera?" Daemon questioned looking around, Rhaenyra spun around, she hadn't noticed she wasn't there. She should have guessed though because father wasn't doting on her every single second.

Rhaenyra just shrugged and Daemon offered his most charming of smiles to Alicent.

"Lady Alicent... I am certain I will win these games having your favor would all but assure it.' He winked up at her and Alicent got her flower crown dropping it down for him.

'Good luck, my Prince.' Alicent said blushing as they took their seats again.

"You were his second option." Rhaenyra remarked with a laugh. "Now you know what its like to lose to Vaera." She mused.

+

As the joust raged on the Queen Aemma was in a different kind of war. Aemma's screams and wails echoed but everyone was having to grand of a time to notice.

'What's happening?' Aemma questioned nervously as she panted for breath.

"Help her!" Vaera demanded. "She is hurt, help her!"

'The infant is in breech, Your Grace.'

'All attempts to turn the babe have failed.' They told her solemnly so her screams continued she was going to lose another child.

'Do something for her!' Viserys demanded when Mellos told him of Aemma's condition.

'We've given her as much milk of the poppy as we can without risking the child. Your Queen is a strong woman. She's fighting with all her might, but it may not be enough.'  Viserys left the joust quickly he couldn't lose another chance at a son.

'No!' Aemma screamed out still trying to get the child from her womb.

'Aemma. Aemma... I'm here. I'm here.' Viserys coed coming to her side.

'Help me, please...' Aemma whispered through pained breaths.

"Daddy help her." Vaera said, she wasn't brave she was scared.

'I'm here. It's all right. It's all right.' Viserys coed but men could never understand the pain of labor.

'I don't wanna do this.' Aemma murmured

'You're going to be all right. You're going to be all right.' Viserys looked to a very worried Vaera. "Vaera love give your mother a kiss and go back to the tourney." Viserys requested.

"I don't want to leave her." Vaera begged.

"It's alright love." Aemma sobbed out. "Go on." She pressed a kiss to her head and Mellos lead Vaera away. "I love you sweet girl." Aemma told her. "Everything is going to be alright." She assured.

"I love you mama." Vaera said as she was brought to the hall, Harwin stared down at her.

"Princess?" he knelt before her.

"I'm scared." Vaera told him.

+

Metal struck down hard as the contenders were getting violent, lunging from their horses and taking their losses to heart, mutilating their competitors. 

'Kill him!'

'And the day grows ugly.'

'I wonder if this is how we should celebrate the birth of our future king.'

' Hm?'

'With wanton violence.'

'It's been 70 years since King Maegor's end.' Rhaenys reminded them 'These knights are as green as summer grass. None have known real war. Their lords sent them to the tourney field with fists full of steel and balls full of seed, and we expect them to act with honor and grace. It's a marvel that war didn't break out at first blood.'

'Mellos.' Viserys exclaimed

'Your Grace. If you would.' Mellos said urging the king away from his wife. 'During a difficult birth, it sometimes becomes necessary for the father... to make an impossible choice.'

'Well, speak it.' Viserys said urgently.

'To sacrifice one... or to lose them both. There is a chance that we can save the child. A technique is taught at the Citadel, which involves cutting directly into the womb to free the infant.' Mellos told him and Viserys listened intently. 'But the resulting blood loss...'

'Seven Hells, Mellos.' Viserys muttered he couldn't sacrifice his wife... could he? 'You can save the child?' Viserys questioned.

'We must either act now or leave it with the gods.' Mellos told him