2. Mothers

'So, I said to him, "Well, I believe you might be looking up the wrong end." There was a round of laughter but work was to be done.

'My lords. The growing alliance among the Free Cities has taken to styling itself "the Triarchy." They have massed on Bloodstone and are presently ridding the Stepstones of its pirate infestation.' Lord Corlys informed them.

'Well, that sounds suspiciously like good news, Lord Corlys.' King Viserys told him happily.

'A man called Craghas Drahar has styled himself the prince-admiral of this Triarchy. They call him "The Crabfeeder" due to his inventive methods of punishing his enemies.'

'And are we meant to weep for dead pirates?' Viserys questioned incredulously.

'No, Your Grace.' Corlys admitted as Rhnaeys entered and started filling cups as her duty as her fathers cup bearer.

'Rhaenyra, you're late. The King's cupbearer must not be late. Leaves people wanting for cups.' Viserys mused

'I was visiting Mother.' Rhaenyra told him as she continued pouring. But her father smelt the smoke on her.

'On dragon back?' Viserys questioned Rhaenyra kept her mouth shut.

"I was with Vaera, it was her idea." Rhaenyra added.

"Oh yes... Blame your sister." Viserys mused.

"It was, ask her.'' Rhaenyra demanded. Viserys sent her a silencing glare.

'Your Grace, at Prince Daemon's urging, the crown has invested significant capital in the re-training and re-equipping of his City Watch. I thought you might urge your brother to fill his seat on the council and provide an assessment of his progress as commander of the Watch.' Lyman Beesbury told him.

'Do you think Daemon is distracted by his present tasks? And that his thoughts and energies are occupied?' Viserys questioned, he thought giving his brother such a role would keep him occupied and when Daemon was busy he wasn't causing trouble.

'Well, one would hope so, considering the associated costs.' Beesbury told him.

'Then let us all consider your gold well-invested, Lord Beesbury.' Viserys said sweeping it under the rug but Beesbury was not done. Everyone had their reservations about Daemon.

'I would urge that you not allow this Triarchy much latitude in the Stepstones, Your Grace. If those shipping lanes should fall, it will beggar our ports.'

'The crown has heard your report, Lord Corlys, and takes it under advisement.'

'Shall we discuss the Heir's Tournament, Your Grace?'

'I would be delighted.' Viserys told them happily. 'Will the maesters' name day prediction hold, Mellos?'

'You must understand that these things are mere estimations, my King, but we have all been poring over the moon charts, and we feel that our forecast is as accurate as it can be.' Mellos told him.

'The cost of the tournament is not negligible. Perhaps we might delay until the child is in hand?' Beesbury told them.

'Ugh, most of the lords and knights are certainly on their way to King's Landing already. To turn them back now...'

'The tourney will take the better part of a week. Before the games are over, my son will be born, and the whole realm will celebrate.' Viserys said confidently.

'We have no way of predicting the sеx of the child.' The grand maester Mellos reminded him.

'Of course, no maester's capable of rendering an opinion free of conditions, are they now? There's a boy in the Queen's belly. I know it. And my heir will soon put all of this damnable hand-wringing to rest himself.' Viserys declared.

+

"Okay mama I got all the cookies." Vaera said putting it down before her. "I think you want this one first."

"Thank you baby. You went riding today..."

"Mama I swear Calypso wanted to go, he was begging me and when you don't listen to dragons they get mad." Vaera told her innocently. There was an innocence about Vaera. She never thought when she was disobeying that she was being bad. She was just exploring and never lost that look in her eye that was pure magic.

"I believe you.' Aemma assured. "What do you think?" Aemma said running her hands over her stomach. "Boy or girl?"

"Boy." Vaera said immediately.

"Is that because your father wants a boy?" Aemma questioned.

"Yes." Vaera agreed.

"You are a daddy's girl." Aemma remarked.

"I want a sibling so I can be the big sister." Vaera told her. "I'm so little, I'm never going to grow. But maybe if when my baby brother comes the world will decide its time for me to grow!" Vaera offered hopefully.

"You are still young."

"I'm so little," Vaera whined.

"You are my baby girl." Aemma corrected.

"I'm Nine! I'm not a baby." Vaera corrected.

"No, you are right, you are my big girl." Aemma agreed.

"But I'm so little!" Vaera whined. "Ser Harwin says that he is worried that I'm going fly off Calypso and hes going to lose his job." Vaera relayed his previous message.

"You like ser harwin, don't you?"

"Yeah. Hes nice, and he sneaks me cookies sometimes." Vaera whispered as though it was a secret that perhaps her mother wasn't the right person to be telling.

"It is good to have knights that care about you, they will protect you."

"Protect me from what?" Vaera questioned.

"Anything and anyone that wants to hurt you." Aemma told her. Vaera put her hands on Aemma's stomach.

"When is the baby coming?" Vaera questioned.

"Soon."

"Can I hold him first?"

"Can I hold him first?" Aemma countered.

"Can I hold him second then?" Vaera questioned.

"Of course." Aemma agreed.

"Did you see the egg I picked for him?" Vaera questioned running over to the crib.

"It is beautiful, you did wonderful." Aemma applauded.

"Do you think Calypso will ever get as big as Syrax? Or Caraxes?"

"Is your uncle daemon here?"

"No, but his is really large, you think Calypso will get big like that too?"

"I think so, he has a wonderful mother." Aemma agreed kissing Vaera's head.

"Am I going to be a mother one day?"

"Of course." Aemma agreed.

"And I can be a good mama like you?"

"Of course, you will be even better." Aemma assured.

"And you will be a grand sire." Vaera remarked.

"Oh goodness, one baby at a time love."