23. Delight

The throne room was filled, whispered voices echoed Daemon's name. Viserys stood ready to reprimand his brother.

"Come on Nyra!" Vaera whispered pulling her inside.

Daemon walked forward with confidence though, the kings guard unsheathed their swords ready to attack, to protect their king. A crown on Daemon's head he threw down his sword before them.

'Add it to the chair.' He offered the sword clattered before Viserys as the crowd murmured with anticipation.

"That's good right?" Vaera questioned hopefully but Viserys didn't look happy.

"Shush Vee." Rhaenyra said grabbing her hand keeping her back.

'You wear a crown.' Viserys noted. 'Do you also call yourself "King"?' he sneered

'Once we smashed the Triarchy, they named me "King of the Narrow Sea." Daemon informed him and the crowd murmured again, Daemon was no king. Everyone knew of his reputation. 'But I know that there is only one true king, Your Grace.' Daemon assured. 'My crown and the Step stones... are yours.'

'Well, where is Lord Corlys?' Viserys questioned hesitantly, Daemon was not one to bend the knee willingly.

'He sailed home to Driftmark.' Daemon told him

'Who holds the Step stones?' Viserys countered his eyes shifted seeing the smile on Vaera's face, she always adored Daemon but that was because Viserys didn't tell his daughters of the chaos Daemon ensued.

'The tides... the crabs, and 2,000 dead Triarchy corsairs, staked to the sand to warn those who might follow.' Daemon informed him. Viserys got closer to him and the crowd held its breath.

'Rise.' Viserys said hugging Daemon as he rose and the crowd applauded, there would not be war, but peace. 'The realm owes you a great debt, brother. Come. This is our chance...'

"Uncle Daemon!" Vaera pulled away from Rhaenyra and ran up to them.

"Peanut look at you!" Daemon declared pulling Vaera to him. "All grown up. So beautiful." Daemon remarked a finger trailing down her cheek. Viserys cleared his throat. "What is it a crime so notice how beautiful my niece is?" Daemon countered innocently.

"She doesn't need the encouragement." Rhaenyra added walking up to them.

"I like to hear it all the same." Vaera assured clinging to Daemon.

"Come, we have much to celebrate." Viserys declared.

+

'Daemon, he would venture off, abroad, winning tournaments...'

'No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.' Daemon said immediately a smile on his face

'I will not revisit this debate. You were always mother's favorite.' Viserys told him.

'No, it's no great mystery.'

'You were.' Viserys assured 'Our mother, she had no regard for custom or tradition, rules. And I, sadly, was no great warrior.'

"Vaera love I saw calypso when I arrived." Daemon remarked. "You have raised him well." Vaera beamed up at him.

"Way to her heart, her dragon and Cookies." Viserys reminded Daemon as he pulled Vera back to him.

"He does look good doesn't he?" Vaera agreed. "I think he needs another..." Vaera offered.

"Another what love?" Daemon questioned.

"Dragon friend."

"I'm sure Aegon and what's her name will be pals." Daemon mused.

"Helaena." Vaera corrected. "She doesn't do much now, her egg just hatched actually, its cute and little like her." Vaera informed him.