21. Fuck Friendship

'We have 16, perhaps 18, seaworthy ships. Seven hundred foot, some 60 knights. Our food quickly dwindles, save for what we can fish from the sea.' Corlys remarked 'I would say we have a fortnight, mayhaps a bit longer with strict rationing. I've made call for Driftmark to send more ships, but they will be weeks away. We are faltering and the Triarchy knows it. We must press the attack, continue sending the dragons.'

'It's pointless, father. The Crabfeeder has created a choke point here, beyond these dunes.' Laenor remarked 'Archers hold the high positions, foot soldiers hold the ground. We've strafed them on dragon back again and again, but they just retreat within the caves.

'Dragons can circle Bloodstone until they fall out of the sky. The Crabfeeder and his men have no reason to leave those caves.' Corlys reminded him

'We must give them one, an offering of flesh to bait the crab.' Laenor told him

'Who?' Corlys questioned

'Dragon returning!' Joffrey declared as the dragons screeches echoed the battle field.

'Yes.' Vaemond answered

'Who? Which man here will happily go to his death?" Corlys countered

"Show me the knight who will march into that hell pit, nephew, and I will show you a madman.'

'Daemon.' Vaemond answered confidently.

'Daemon is why we are losing!' Corlys countered

'He at least is fighting this war. What role have you played in his council, uncle, other than Master of Complaints?' Laenor retorted.

'Enough, Laenor.' Corlys demanded

'If King's Landing will not support Daemon, why should any of us?!' Vaemond countered

'Blood or no, Vaemond, I will not have you stoke mutiny.' Corlys warned

'If you do not seize control of this war, my lord, the crabs will soon dine on all of us.'

'Prince Daemon. I bring word from His Grace, Viserys Targaryen, first of his name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm.' A knight held out a scroll to daemon he took it reading it over his face void of emotion. Then he was filled with rage.he started to bludgeon the messanger, through a muffled cries he begged him to stop.

'That's enough! Stop!' Joffrey said pulling daemon off.

'Brother... I have ordered 10 ships and 2,000 men to set sail from King's Landing to join the effort in the Stepstones. Though time and circumstance have seen us estranged, know that it is not my desire to see you fail in your cause. It is instead my hope that this aid will deliver the victory that has thus far evaded us. I shall pray nightly to the gods for your safe return.' Viserys had wrote and it pained Daemon to read the words.

Daemon waved the white flag of surrender, he was met in the middle of the field, he relinquished his blade as they prepared for the worst.

' Nock.' Arrows were loaded into bows

' Draw.' They held ready. Daemons blade was taken from his hands and a moment of silence passed before Daemon lunged a second blade in his hand and he attacked. Running and dodging through the soldiers as arrows flew all around him.

' Loose!' arrows thwacked

'Loose!' daemon dodged and sliced his silver hair stained with the blood of his kills.

'Loose!' more arrows soared but daemon wasn't stopping

'Loose!' Daemon made his way to cover panting for breath as more soldiers came charging out. He broke the arrow from his chest as his eyes searched the sky. Daemon used his sword to pull himself off the ground, trapped then circled around him but he wasn't done. Suddenly flames covered the land.

'Dracarys!' the soldiers screamed out as they were burned to a crisp.

'Nock!' they loaded their bows again but seeing the dragon their arrows were useless.

'Dragon!' they screamed running for their lives. Daemon felt the fire revive him as he saw a dragon sweep down, claiming their victory.

'Whoo! Dracarys!'

Daemon stood the victor blood dripping down his face.

+

"Daemon is very smart." Vaera remarked and Harwin stared down at her. "He is wild and rebellious but he is smart. I have complete faith he will win."

"Princess," Harwin said through a sigh.

"Do you love your family?" Vaera questioned.

"Most of the time." Harwin agreed.

"My family is larger growing than it ever has been but at times I feel very alone." Vaera admitted.

"What do you mean?" Vaera leaned into him as they walked.

"Well, Rhaenyra and father can't get along, it seems fathers main mission as of late is finding Rhaenyra a husband and all Rhaenyra wants is to explode into a fiery inferno." Vaera told him. "She likes trouble and she gets in trouble. She used to hate that I could do the same thing as her and not get in trouble." Vaera recalled.

"You two have been closer since your mothers passing." Harwin remarked.

"It is strange that losing one of the most important people in my life, brought me closer to my sister then I ever have been." Vaera admitted.

"You know you can confide in me princess." Harwin told her.

"I am grateful for your friendship, Harwin."

Friendship. Harwin thought stiffly but he kept a smile on his face. Fuck friendship.