10. My Fault

"Nyra?" Vaera whispered pushing open her door.

"What Vee?" Rhaenyra said softly, she was laying opposite her pillows her arm covering her eyes.

"Do you hate me?" Vaera asked as she approached and Rhaenyra sat up.

"No, why would you think that?"

"Because this is all my fault." Vaera told her pathetically.
"What? How could any of this be your fault?" Rhaenyra countered.

"Because I... I didn't... Nyra I didn't want the baby to have the same name day as me and now they are gone." Vaera sobbed and Rhaenyra pulled Vaera to her.

"no, this is not your fault." Rhaenyra assured.

"You don't hate me anymore?" Vaera said as tears fell down her cheeks.

"I never hated you." Rhaenyra corrected.

"You only play with me when we ride the dragons," Vaera countered. "It doesn't seem like you like me, but I need you." Vaera begged. "You're my best friend but I'm not yours.' Vaera informed her and that made Rhaenyra feel completely awful. It wasn't Vaera's fault their parents spoiled her, it wasn't her fault she was like sunshine, now her little smile was gone and she was begging Rhaenyra not to hate her.

"I love you, you are my sister and I love you so much," Rhaenyra assured.

"You do?"

"OF course." Rhaenyra hugged her tight. "I'm sorry I didn't do a better job of showing it. I will be a better sister."

''Me too.'' Vaera agreed. "You really don't hate me?" Vaera whispered.

"I could never hate you." Rhaenyra assured. "I love you."

+

Back at the brothel and Daemon should have been on top of the world. His brothers son died and he was the rightful heir once again. Daemon had checked on Vaera but she ran out on him so he wanted a drink and possibly a fuck.

'Thank you.' Daemon said taking the glass of ale.

'The King's sole heir once again. Might we drink to our future?' a man declared and Daemon smiled back at him. There was an uproar of cheers and shouts of delight, their cups banged on the table in celebration. This was the kind of encouragement he needed, he was the heir, the rightful king, the people knew it and they wanted him.

'Quiet! Your Prince will speak! Silence!' Daemon chuckled as he stood up.

'King and Council have long rued my position as next in line for the throne.' Daemon told them. 'But dream and pray as they all might, it seems I'm not so easily replaced. The gods give just as the gods take away.'

++

"Nrya's not mad at me." Vaera informed Viserys.

"You thought she was mad?" Viserys questioned.

"Well not anymore." Vaera confirmed.

"My dear-'

'Are you mad at me?"

"What?"

"Did I kill mother?" Viserys couldn't breathe.

"no." he rasped. "It's my fault. Not yours." Viserys assured.

"But I didn't want him to have my name day. I was selfish and now-''

'Vaera love no." Viserys assured. "None of this, you did nothing wrong. Your words didn't do anything."

"That's what Nyra said too." Vaera admitted.

"She is right, love this is not your fault."

"Why is it your fault?" Vaera countered but there was a small knock on the door. Alicent was worried she knew what she was supposed to do but she didn't want to. Vaera found if funny when people knocked quietly as though they didn't want to disturb but they were by knocking anyways.

'The Lady Alicent Hightower, Your Grace.' She was announced.

'What is it, Alicent?' Viserys questioned turning to her, Vaera leaned into him annoyed. This girl was stealing her sister and now her father? Who was this bitch! Vaera thought bitterly.

'I thought I might come and look in on you, Your Grace. I brought a book.' Alicent offered holding it out.

'That's very kind, thank you.' Viserys said stiffly. He didn't want company he wanted to cry and he wanted Vaera to look at up him with those big eyes and tell him everything would be alright.

'It's a favorite of mine. I do know how passionate you are for the histories.' Alicent recalled.

'Yes... I am.' He admitted softly.

'When my mother died... people only ever spoke to me in riddles. All I wanted was for someone to say that they were sorry for what happened to me. I'm very sorry, Your Grace.' Alicent told him. "I'm sorry to you too Princess." Alicent added, Vaera tucked her head into Viserys chest.

"Goodnight Alicent." Viserys said stiffly as he put the book down and hugged Vaera tight.

+

'Before we begin, Your Grace, I have a report I feel compelled to share. Last night... Prince Daemon bought out one of the pleasure houses on the Street of Silk... to entertain officers of the City Watch and other friends of his.' Otto informed Viserys.

'He toasted Prince Baelon. To the King's son.' Otto went on 'Styling him... "The Heir for a Day." Viserys face pinched as he heard of his brothers declarations. 'I corroborated this report with three separate witnesses.' He went on. 'they said the evening was, by all accounts a... celebration.' He added and Viserys got more and more furious by the second.