55. Jona

"I must've heard him wrong in Belgium." I say to Emily over the phone as I walk into the paddock at COTA. Almost two months later. 

"But Charlotte confirmed, he's just waiting for the right moment." She says. "Have you thought about what you're going to say when he pops the question?" 

"Em, he hasn't even asked it, why would I think about it." I tell her. 

"Okay other subject then." Emily says, switching subjects. "How are you holding up?" It seems like a normal question, but we all know that she's referring to the fact that this week is the anniversary of my mom's death. 

"I'm doing okay. I just hope he isn't going to propose this week, I can't handle that." I tell her, switching back to our previous topic. Lando and I haven't spoken about the fact I overheard him, but it's been one of the main thoughts in my mind ever since. 

"He won't, he knows you well enough not to do it this week." She says, before we say goodbye and I have to walk into the paddock for the race. 

After speaking with Alana and Zak about this being my mom's passing anniversary, we decided that I would not be having any duties this week. 

I take my place in the family area of the McLaren Garage, together with Team Quadrant, who are flown in for their merch shoot. 

"He's really confirming his image as best of the rest, isn't he?" Max asks as Lando crosses the finish line P6 once again. 

"Oh he really is." I confirm. 

It takes a while for Lando to arrive back in the garage, but he immediately makes his way to me. "How are you holding up?" He asks, as he has his arms wrapped tightly around me. 

"Good," I tell him, knowing he's referring to the accident mostly. "I'm just happy there weren't any crashes today." I tell him. He looks at me, grateful that I am speaking the truth. And he can actually act on that. 

"No crashes is always a good way to finish a race." Lando admits, pecking my lips before going to the Quadrant members he'd invited. 

After the race Lando takes the Quadrant team for dinner, but not without making sure I've got something to do as well. It's seven when I walk into the hotel lobby to see Kelly, Carmen and Charlotte waiting for me. 

"Girls night!" Kelly says excitedly as we're taking an Uber to a restaurant. 

It's good to have a fun night in this difficult week. While I have been keeping strong with people surrounding me, I have not enjoyed being alone. My thoughts quickly wandering to the accident. 

"So everyone is here for the double header right?" I ask as we're enjoying our desert. 

"I'm here for every race and you know it." Charlotte chuckles. 

"So am I," Kelly ads. 

"I'll probably miss Brazil, but I'm still trying to figure things out." Carmen tells us, her boss being stubborn. I just hope that she can join in Brazil. 

*** 

I walk into the Mexican paddock on Wednesday, a day before all action starts. People still setting up, but I'd been called into Zak's office. Nerves racing through my body, knowing very well my internship is about to end. 

"Good morning Jona," Zak says as I enter his office. 

"Good morning." I say taking a seat in the chair facing him. 

"So I wanted to ask you something." Zak says, my nerves racing through my body. "Your internship is coming to an end, and I have confirmed with you university that you'll probably be graduating. We're very content with what you're delivering. Which is why I'd like to offer you the position of PR-manager paddock for next year. It means you'll get your and Alana's tasks." 

"Are you serious?" I ask in disbelief. Wondering how I'd figure things out for next year had been on my mind for the last month, but I hadn't expected this. 

"I am, you fit into the team perfectly. You're a stable factor in guidance. You'll get an intern yourself as well. But in general you'll be the spokesperson for the team on track." He confirms. 

"Thank you Zak." I say smiling from ear to ear. This is amazing news. 

I quickly get back to the hotel, where Lando and Daniel are playing some table tennis. 

"There she is!" Daniel says excitedly, thoroughly enjoying his last few races with McLaren. Oscar Piastri replacing him next year. Lando turns around to look at me, letting the ball go past him. "Yes, point for me." Daniel cheers, but Lando's not breaking his eye contact with me. 

"What did Zak want?" Lando asks, as I'm trying hard not to give any hints away. 

"He offered me a job." I tell him, confusion written on his face. "As PR-manager for next year." 

"He did?" A smile forming on Lando's face, clearly unaware of what Zak was going to ask me. 

"He did!" I say jumping into his arms. "And I agreed." 

Lando presses his lips on mine, knowing very well that it means we get to spend most of the time together next year as well. 

"I'll leave you two alone." Daniel says, putting the table tennis gear away and walking towards the elevator. 

"I'm so proud of you, Jona." Lando says looking into my eyes. "Why don't we go out for dinner, to celebrate?" 

"Sounds like a plan." I tell him, pecking his lips once again. 

*** 

"So, are we going to a fancy restaurant or something more casual?" I ask Lando as I'm going through my suitcase to find something to wear. 

"Like semi-fancy?" He answers. "Any dress is fine." 

I look at the colourful wrap dress in the corner of my suitcase. I take it out, putting it on. From the corner of my eye, I can see Lando looking at me. A smile lingering on his face. He seems a bit nervous, it must be the race weekend or something. He gets like that every now and then before a race weekend, and I think it's completely natural for him. 

I grab my make up bag, going into the bathroom to put on some light make up. I take out my curling iron, making slight waves in my hair. Knowing very well that those will not last in the humid air here in Mexico.