12. Lando

A million different thought cross my mind. First the egoistical thoughts appear.

I'm supposed to fly to Austin tomorrow morning.

I should get a good night sleep, with racing duties approaching. I probably can't get that anymore since it's already a bit too late, but whatever.

Also, I really cannot leave Jona alone like this. She's a wreck, and it's not good for anyone in a mental state like this one to be alone by yourself in a place you barely know.

She really can't be alone, but we've also spoken about the fact that we should not be getting closer. She wants to focus on getting the internship, which I totally get. I need to focus on my driving.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked." Jona says, looking at me. The debate in me probably evident by the long time it took me to answer her question.

"I'm sorry, I can't." I say, loosening my grip on her.

"It's okay." She answers, but I can see the disappointment written on her face.

"I still have to pack a bit, and have a flight early tomorrow." I tell her, like it's gonna make anything better.

"I understand." Jona says while wiping the tears from her face. "I couldn't expect you to stay either. We barely know each other."

"Don't do this okay, don't blame yourself. I would've stayed if I did not have other commitments in the morning." I tell her. "I will pick you up in the morning though. You have a plane to catch as well."

She looks up at me, a little relieve and suprise evident on her face.

"That'd be nice." She answers as she shows me to her hotel room.

Needless to say, I did not get a lot of sleep tonight. I still had some packing to do. And I could not stop thinking about Jona. I did not feel comfortable with leaving her alone. But I couldn't do it.

I also had to protect myself a bit. I might as well never see her again after the Brazilian Grand Prix.

A little restless, I get out of bed. My alarm clock reading 4.30. Time to go and get Jona. My private flight is leaving at 7, where as Jona's KLM flight is leaving at 7.15.

I get dressed and put my suitcases into the trunk of my car. I take out my phone to text Jona.

Goodmorning! Hoping you're doing a bit better. I'm on my way.

I don't wait for a response, but get into my car, bringing the engine to life.

The drive to Jona's hotel is not that long. And when I arrive at the front entrance of her hotel, she's already waiting outside. Her backpack and carry-on on the ground next to her.

"Hey, how you holding up?" I ask her, putting the small suitcase in the trunk of my car.

"Much better," she says, a small smile filled with relieve on her face. "I'm sorry you had to see me like that." She adds.

"It's okay," I tell her giving her a reassuring smile. "Emotions have to come out sometimes."

I was kind of worried this would have all changed our dynamic. But we drove to the airport in a comfortable silence. Both not really willing to talk. Both probably really tired.

As I park at the parking lot, I notice Daniel walking toward the entrance as well.

"Dani!" I yell, making him wait for us.

"Hi guys, ready to go?" He asks. I just nod, Jona looks a little sad. "What's wrong?" Daniel asks noticing Jona's shift in emotion.

"It's okay. Don't worry." She says, and then says goodbye to both of us. Needing to go to another area of the airport.

I really hope she does okay. I cannot wait until the Brazilian Grand Prix. I cannot wait to see her again.

"You into het Norris?" Daniel asks as we are arriving at our gate.

"No," I say quickly. Probably too quickly.

"You've been all over her mate, it's pretty evident. Not to mention the fact that you follow her on Instagram. Even I refrained from that, it's not professional and your just following your dick." Daniel says bluntly.

————-
Little Norris appreciation upload! Lando qualified as 8th. I still thinks it's a good quali for Lando. So I decided to upload an extra chapter. Here it is 😌

Let's hope Lando can gain some places tomorrow. And I'm silently rooting door Checo to win his home GP