2. Lando

September 2021

"Lando, Daniel we have an important task for you." Charlotte says to both me and Daniel, as we're sitting in our meeting room here at the Zandvoort Circuit. 

"You're gonna ask us to find you the best Stroopwafel?" Daniel laughs, which 

"Please guys, jokes a side. We are looking to fulfil the PR internship spot. Here's our shortlist of 20 names. We'd like you to cut it down to 10." She tells us seriously. I should've expected this would come sometime. 

The current intern is stuck in Woking all the time because he did not connect with the team at all, and we decided it was better for the atmosphere if he stayed in Woking. His contributions did not improve by being away from the team, but at least I did not have to get annoyed by his presence. 

"So if I understand correctly, you've decided to ask our input to prevent a debacle like this year?" I ask Charlotte with raised eyebrows. Just making sure she's not using us to do her job. 

Just kidding, I don't think Charlotte would let us do her job anyway. Daniel and I are too childish for her liking. 

"We have. So here's the files, I've sent them to your McLaren emails as well. Please give your top 10 or less if there's not enough suitable candidates to us before the Singapore Grand Prix." I nod at her, showing my understanding of the task. 

I like Charlotte speaks to us with a time frame indicated by races. I do not have the energy to remember what day it is most of the time. 

*** 

"Lando, my mate!" Daniel exclaims as I show up on his screen. With the Singapore Grand Prix right around the corner it's about time we made the short list for the new intern. 

"Hi Dani," I greet him with a smile. Daniel decided to stay a few days in Australia with his family between the races, which means we have to do this via FaceTime. 

"So let's be honest here. There's only like three applicants I can see myself working with." Daniel tells me with a laugh. I laugh a little too, but I can't seem to disagree with him. There's only three I like as well. 

"Same here." I tell Daniel, slightly curious if we're lingering toward the same three people. 

"Okay, then tell me yours." He says his voice and facial expression both very excited, like a kid in a candy shop. 

"Mate, why are you so excited for this." I laugh at him. 

"Because we're choosing an intern, which means we have someone new to annoy with our jokes." He tells as we both erupt in laughter. 

"Okay then." I say, as I open the file on my computer which holds my favourite applicants. "My top three is Madison Oliveira, James Cox and Matthew Rose." I tell Daniel, his face saddens with my words. But little does he know those were my least favourite people of the list, and if I'm not mistaken, he did not like those people as well. 

"Really?" He asks.

"No of course not, those people are just not ambitious enough to join us." I tell him, a sign of relieve crossing his face. "So my top three favourite candidates are:" I say leaving a little silence to build some tension. 

"A come on Lando, you can't leave me waiting here." Daniel begs, as the tension is growing. 

"Yes I can. Or you should go before me." I suggest. Making his wait even longer. 

"Mate just tell me." Daniel sighs, which is the moment I decide to give in. It's not like we want to spend too much time on this topic. 

"It's Marissa Grey, Jona Middel and Ellis Green." I tell him, his eyes lighting up a bit.

"I got those exact three, but my favourite is the Dutch girl." He tells me. Leaving me curious. I did not know we were picking absolute favourites. 

"Oh?" 

"Yeah, I kinda checked all their socials. And Jona seems like someone genuinely interested in our sport. I mean, she has been to multiple races, heck she even has this TikTok account devoted to F1. I don't know it just seems like she might click with us." Daniel explains. 

"And what about the others? I'm not sure someone who'd have to move to another country will be on top of Zak's list." I tell Daniel, but let's be honest, we're in F1, someone moving is definitely not a dealbreaker for McLaren. 

"They are good. I mean they have references, both live near Woking. Which is nice because they are probably familiar with what McLaren stands for. But one of them seems to have never been to an F1 race in person but looks like she knows about it enough, and the other seemed like she was only there for the pictures. I just don't know. But I think we should give them all a chance." Daniel explains, and all I can do is agree with him. 

*** 

October 2021

"So boys, have you made your decision?" Charlotte asks. This time the conversation is not only with Charlotte, but also Zak decided to join. 

"We have." I tell Charlotte. "But the 10 did not quite work out."

A sigh escapes Charlottes lips. I know she's expecting us to have picked all of them, just to screw with her. "Okay, how many more have you chosen?" She asks. 

I look at Daniel, both of us grinning at the annoyance written all over Charlotte's face. 

"None." Daniel answers Charlotte's question honestly. 

A sigh escapes Charlotte's lips, not content with his answer. 

"This is not the time to fool around boys." Zak says sternly, but I think he caught up with us a bit, whilst doing this. "How many applicants are potential interns for you?" 

I sigh, deciding to be serious right here in this moment. "Three." I say, handing over the chosen files to Zak.

Relieve crosses Charlotte's face, and Zak seems impressed with the people they have chosen. 

"Alright, I will email these three applicants to set up interviews. But I expect both of you to join in on those." Zak says sternly. 

I sigh, I thought I did not have to be part of this boring process any longer. But it turns out it's part of my job. 

Zak finishes up the meeting, and I go out to the garage. Time to get in the zone for FP1.