44. Lando

"Enjoy today Lando, this is your home race." Andreas says over the board radio. I line up my car in the sixth starting position, focussed on the light in front of me.

My time to shine, I tell myself.

The lights go out and I'm quick on my way, only to be notified of a red flag situation soon after we've started. Almost an hour later we line up again, ready to restart.

Once again all lights go on and off, and we are racing again.

I can feel myself flying through the corners, feeling good in the car once again. "That's the checkered flag Lando," I hear over the board radio. "That's P6, well done."

"Good job everyone." I say back over the radio, happy to have ended my home race with some much needed points. Hoping to have shown that I'm better than Daniel, who ended P13.

I drive my car into the parc fermé area, only to be met by family and teammates, before having to go to the weigh-in.

"I'm proud of you." Jona says, placing a quick kiss on my helmet, before I make my way to the garage to leave my helmet and gloves there. Jona following me there. "Lando hold on," She says as she's a bit behind me.

I hold my step, letting Jona catch up. "Is it okay if I come with you for your PR guidance today?" She asks it is then that I notice there are no crutches nearby.

"Where are the crutches?" I ask her.

"This morning's tests went so well, I'm cleared to walk without them, only using them if I feel like I need the extra support." She tells me. I wrap her up in a hug.

"Now, this is my time to say I'm proud of you." I tell her placing a kiss on her lips. "And yes of course you can be my PR person today."

A bright smile appears on her face as we calmly walk to the garage, a pace that is definitely slower than my usual pace. But it's fine as long as it makes Jona happy.

***

"Netflix really want Jona in their support system interview." Alana says as I'm sitting at our briefing at MTC. Most people have already left, leaving only Jona, Daniel, Alana and I there for the media walk-through. "I told them off last time because Jona was still in a cast, but we all know they will try to do it again."

"I don't know if it is smart to do." Jona says hesitantly. "We've only been together for three and a half months. I mean what if anything happens, and then we're stuck with the episode."

"Jona?" I say, snapping her out of the spiral.

"Yes?"

"Do you think anything will happen between us?" I ask her, not caring that it might be personal and Alana and Daniel are in the room.

"I don't" she says confidently.

"Well, me neither so that's not something we need to worry about. You need to want it, that's all that matters." I tell her, looking at her directly.

"Can I still think about it?" Jona asks Alana.

"Of course, but beware that they will be present in Austria this weekend." Alana says to Jona.

Jona had been really excited for this weekend, Emily flying in as well. I know Emily is a Max Verstappen fan, but she admitted that if needed she'd be rooting for me too.

"So what do you think I should do?" Jona asks as we're sitting in the car driving home.

"Like I said, I think you should look at what you want." I tell her. "But you could ask Kelly or Carmen, I know they both said yes to participating."

"Maybe I'll do that." Jona answers, falling back into silence.

***

"It's crazy how many Dutch fans travel here each year." I say to Max V as we're walking around the paddock together on Thursday.

Jona's at the airport picking up Emily, they can be here any moment now.

"I know, it almost feels like Zandvoort in some degree." He says chuckling a bit. "Has Jona decided if she wanted to speak to Netflix yet?"

"I think she's going to do it, just not this weekend. She told me she really wanted to spend it with Emily." I tell him, just as a Netflix crew member approaches.

"Where's your girlfriend?" The guy asks me in a tone that really bothers me.

"My girlfriend is first of all not my possession, and second of all you don't get to make demands." I tell him, making him realise it was not the right tone he was speaking in.

"Fine, I'm sorry mister Norris. But I would really like to know where your girlfriend is so we can ask her to do the interview." The Netflix employee asks, really pushing my nerves.

"Listen, she's not here yet. And she's not doing the interview today. Reach out to McLaren's media department to schedule a date okay. And for your information, she has a name and it's Jona." I tell him walking away.

"I really don't know why she and Kelly said yes to this." Max says as we're walking away from the stunned Netflix employee.

"They're definitely gonna create some non-existent drama." I tell Max who quickly agrees with me.

***

"So this is Lando's garage," I hear a very familiar voice say. I turn away from the track walk data screen, to meet eyes with both Jona and Emily.

"Hi girls." I say to both of them.

"Hi Lando, nice to see you again." Emily says awkwardly, not really sure how to posture herself around me again.

"Nice to see you again too Emily. You know I don't bite right?" I chuckle trying to cool the air a bit.

"So can you give her a quick tour of the garage?" Jona asks hopeful. "I still don't know half of the things that go on here."

"I can." I say, excusing myself from the data analysis and showing both girls around the garage.