40. Lando

I cannot believe Jona is being this stubborn, she brought the freaking wheelchair, she should be using it. But I'm leaving it at that, knowing that she'll get annoyed by me mentioning it every time.

"Lando, radio check" I hear over my radio, as I'm sitting in the car, ready for the first free practise of the weekend. I put the visor down, let's go.

"Radio's fine." I say not feeling like I want to speak a lot.

I turn out of the pit box, making my way over the Baku streets. Street circuits are always on a level of their own. One mistake and you're in the wall.

I focus as I make my way through the turns.

Both free practises were not my best, with an eleventh and tenth place there was slight improvement. And also my laptime had quite the improvement, but I want to be higher on Sunday. I need to be higher.

"That's it for today." Alana says as we're making our way from the media pen to the garage, so I can get changed out of my racing suit.

"Great, it's been a long day." I say, a yawn escaping my lips.

"Get some rest, you go again tomorrow." Alana says. I can see Charlotte and Jona talking with Charles in front of the Ferrari garage. I say goodbye to Alana walking over to the three.

Jona's sitting on one of the chairs at the pit wall, as Charlotte and Charles are standing. "You did great man." I say to Charles doing a small hand shake as I join the three of them.

"Thanks." Charles answers, before he and Charlotte walk away leaving me and Jona at the Ferrari pit wall.

"We should get to our own garage, this looks weird." I tell her.

"Carlos told me I could sit here as long as I needed. And that could be a while, since I send Carmen and Isa to go get the wheelchair from the hotel." She says, looking down at the ground. Disappointment written all over her face.

"That's okay, don't be sad." I tell her. Knowing very well, she wanted to prove that she could do whatever with the cast on.

"I just feel like I screwed up, like I can't even walk around on crutches for a whole day." She says.

"It's okay, it'll get better." I tell her wrapping my arms around her. "Have you spoken to you psychologist yet?"

"I haven't yet. My appointment is tomorrow morning." She says. "I'm hoping we can sort some of these thoughts out."

"I hope so too, I don't like seeing you like this." I admit, deeply worried about her mental state. It must be difficult for her as well, asking for help as she had just started winding down the frequency of her therapy sessions.

***

"Are you feeling a bit better?" I ask Jona as she's taking a seat in my side of the garage. Only forty-five minutes to go until qualifying.

"I am, I am exhausted though. Therapy always drains my energy. I'm back to three times a week virtual therapy though. And we've decided I'm flying to London after this. I'll be spending the time in between races there. As that's where I probably have the most stability." She explains.

"I'm coming to Woking with you then. I don't want to be in Monaco if it means we're both in empty houses." I tell her, and I can see her eyes lighting up.

"That'd be really nice." She tells me, pecking my lips one more time before I have to get ready for the race.

Today Jona, Charlotte and Carmen are watching from our garage. Yesterday they watched in the Ferrari garage, and they'll probably be watching the race from the Mercedes garage. It's definitely good to see they're getting along well. It means that there's more to come to the track for than only watching me race.

This was definitely one of my more terrible qualifying sessions. Ending on a 11th place and not even making it into Q3. I get out of the car quite disappointed, not ready to look at anyone. I make my way to my drivers room. I quickly change out of the racing suit and into casual McLaren apparel.

I make my way back to the garage, only to realise I did manage to out qualify Daniel. He's standing there talking to one of his engineers. We do a quick handshake, before I make my way to the girls.

Jona gets up from the chair she's sitting in, giving me a hug and a quick kiss. "I'm still proud of you." She whispers, before turning her attention to the screen again.

George and Charles still in third qualifying. "Come on Charles, you've got this." I hear Charlotte say, as Charles is putting down purple sectors in sector one and two.

When the screen shows that Charles is indeed in Pole position, Charlotte excuses herself, making her way to the Ferrari pit box.

"Well I gotta go meet the boyfriend too." Carmen says, before saying goodbye and leaving us alone. Well as alone as you can be in a garage full of engineers.

***

"How are you feeling today?" I ask Jona as we're making our way to the Baku paddock for the final time this weekend. I feel like I've been asking her this question a lot, but I am genuinely interested in it.

"I'm feeling great actually. Got a lot of clarity from the therapy session. I might even do the race blog for twitter today." She says a bright smile on her face.

"Really, that sounds great." I say, squeezing her shoulders a bit, as that's as close I can get to wrapping my arm around her while pushing the wheelchair.

She's been more easy going with the wheelchair, accepting it for longer distances.

As I'm getting into the car for the warmup lap, before getting to the grid, Jona quickly kisses me.

"Good luck today," She says. "Stay safe, and try to get some points."

"I'll try my best." I tell her, giving her one more kiss, before putting the helmet on. Jona slaps on the helmet lightly, trying to give me one last gesture of good luck. I lower my body into the car. It's go time.

Somewhere during the race, I had to let Daniel pass me. But luckily I did manage to gain some spots myself two. Resulting in double points for the team. Even if it's only six points, it can mean a lot in the end of the season.

"I'm so proud of you." Jona says as I'm helping her take a shower the night after the race.

"I'm proud of you as well. You managed to be of help for the team today and I have to admit I didn't think that would happen at the beginning of the race weekend." I tell her, helping her dry off.

"I know, I was a real mess." She says, a sad smile on her face. I think it's fear, fear of how she was acting.

"It's okay to be a mess sometimes, I'm good at that too." I say, making her laugh a little.

I help Jona get back to the bed so she can dressed outside the foggy bathroom.

As Jona sits down on the bed, she grabs my hands, pulling me closer to her. She moves her hands to my neck, pulling my face down to hers. Her lips connecting with mine in a meaningful way. I push her back, making her lay down on the bed. Me hovering over her body, that's only covered with her underwear.

I place kisses along the hem of her bra, before placing my lips on her neck. Quickly finding one of her sweet spots. Making her moan in respons. Jona's hands start tugging on the hem of my shirt, pulling it over my head in a swift motion.

Her hands still roaming my body, making me groan in respons, whenever she teasingly plays with the hem of my pants.

"I want you." I whisper into her ear, as she's placing kisses on my neck. Our bodies almost fully connected. It's all Jona needs, before moving her hands down to the hem of my pants again, and lowering them.

————————————————
So I just got home from Netherlands against Denmark women's soccer friendly. And we won 💪🏻 so here is an extra chapter!