48. Lando

Only two more races before we get our well deserved summer break, and I am really looking forward to it.

Of course there's work we've got to do but a month of no racing actually sounds good right now.

Jona will be turning 23 during the summer break, which is a shame because if it'd be on a race weekend she could be celebrating with the whole team. And we're both going on separate vacations, Jona is going to spent a week on Mallorca with Emily. I'm going to Croatia with some of the Quadrant team and Oliver.

But first we've got the French and Hungarian Grand Prix to race.

"You know what day it is tomorrow?" Jona asks as we're arriving on track on Thursday. Jona ready for her first weekend fully back.

"Our four month anniversary." I say proudly, knowing very well Jona did not expect me to get that right.

"So are we celebrating?" She asks.

"I don't know, do you want to?" I ask her, I haven't really made plans since it is a race weekend. We usually go with whatever happens then.

"Spending the day with you is celebration enough for me." She says, as we walk into the hospitality.

"That's great, because I'll be there most of the time." I tell her, referring to the time I've got to spend in a racing car.

***

"Happy four months!" Jona says as I walk into the bathroom on Friday morning.

"Happy four months," I say in return, before kissing her. "How are you showered already?" I ask noticing her wet hair.

"I couldn't go back to sleep at 6, so I went for a run." She says a proud smile on her face. "It went well, I did three miles."

"I'm proud of you." I tell her, honestly I don't think I've ever seen this kind of determination in someone who's not a professional athlete, when it comes to rehab after an injury. But maybe the environment is stimulating her as well.

"So what's the plan for this weekend?" I ask as Daniel, Alana Jona and I are having a media briefing in the hospitality.

"Trying to keep Netflix away for as long as possible." Jona chuckles. She's told me this morning that they're determined to do an interview with her this weekend. "But that's only for me, for you two just go with the flow. It's all pretty ordinary so far."

"Don't worry about Netflix, just pop some stupid remarks every now and then, and they'll be satisfied." Daniel says with a chuckle. Before we split up, everyone going to start on their own tasks.

The car actually feels good on Friday. I can get some decent laps in, finishing sixth and seventh in the first two practises.

I get out of the car, Alana and Daniel waiting for me. "Daniel is joining us as well." Alana says as we're walking to the media pen."

"Where's Jona?" I ask, I know I shouldn't be that bothered, she's got other things to take care of as well.

"Talking to the Netflix crew. Making her demands." Alana explains, and I relax a bit. Jona's really growing in her media duties, even advocating for herself as well.

"So Lando, we've seen Jona around on the grid more and more again. She's no longer sporting the orange cast, how is she doing?" The interviewer asks and I just stand there like she's crazy. I just drove two practises and all you can ask is about my girlfriend.

"I'm sorry, but if you'd rather have Jona in front of the camera you should contact our PR department." I tell the interviewer. "I'd like to talk racing now."

The interviewer just stands there, frozen in place. I love talking about Jona, I know that, but I'm not going to be talking to the media about her.

"My apologies, I wasn't aware you weren't comfortable talking about this." The interviewer says, before asking me how the car felt.

I've had questions about Jona before, but to start out with it is definitely something new.

After doing some more interviews, Alana, Daniel and I are walking to hospitality. I immediately spot Jona in conversation with one of the team's lawyers.

"What's happening here?" I asks taking a seat at the table as well. Not sure if I'm actually welcome in the conversation. The lawyer looks at Jona, who gives him confirmation that it's okay.

"Netflix is trying to rip me off." She says. "Not money wise, but they're trying to force me into speaking with them every remaining race this season. I'm not doing that. I want this on my terms so we're making a provisional contract."

"Like the one we've got as well?" I ask, remembering that our contracts with Netflix are mostly made up by McLaren lawyers as well.

"Pretty much, Jona's and McLaren's best interest should come in the first place." The lawyer confirms.

"They just always try to put it to their hand." I say, before letting them continue the conversation.

***

Starting P5 is not bad, and to be honest it almost feels like it's the most I can out of this car for now. Ferrari and Red Bull both being much quicker than us. If only we could manage to improve enough to be really fighting for those podium places.

I focus on the lights going out in front of me, going full throttle as soon as I can. I drive my laps around the circuit, sadly having lost two places when I arrive at the checkered flag. Mercedes and Alpine really having the pace on Sunday. Where as our car seems to be a Saturday car more and more.

I get to the garage, Alana already waiting to escort me to the media pen. "Where did Daniel finish?" I ask Alana as we're walking to the media pen, suddenly realising I had not been paying attention to my teammate.

"P9, double points again." She says a small smile on her face.

"Good." I say, walking into the media pen, Alana pointing me to my first interview of the day.

As I get back to the hospitality after all the interviews, I see Daniel sitting there. Usually Jona's there waiting along side him. But right now he's pretty much alone, enjoying a small meal.

"She's with Netflix." Daniel says as I take a seat at the table. Not even able to ask the question first. This guy knows me well.