10. Jona

I am woken up by alarm blaring through my hotel room once again. I open my eyes, feeling the burning feeling from crying myself to sleep last night. The memory of the crash coming back got to me. Talking to Emily about it at night was very soothing, and it helped me a bit. But it did not make me feel any less lonely, and I just had to accept that I was alone in a town I do not freaking know.

I decide to take another shower once more, hoping it will make it less evident I have cried myself to sleep. After I've showered, I get dressed in a floral dress, deciding today is a day I could use feeling a bit more confident.

I grab my phone, bag and room key, closing the door behind me and walking to the breakfast buffet. I go for a light breakfast, not really feeling hungry at all.

After finishing breakfast, I look at my phone. It's only 8.45, still fifteen minutes left before I'm being picked up. I decide to go outside and just take in the fresh air. There's a bench in front of the hotel and I take a seat on it.

It only takes about 5 minutes, before an orange McLaren, I immediately recognise, pulls up in front of the hotel. "Lando what are you doing here?" I ask as he lowers the window of his car.

"I'm your driver for the day," He tells me a small smile on his face, nerves erupting in my stomach.

"Alright then," I say, grabbing my bag from the ground and getting into Lando's car.

The drive to MTC went by really quickly. Lando and I just laughing at stupid comments we were both making. To be honest, it really cleared my mind. Which is what I needed.

We make our way to the conference room we were in yesterday, and Lando helps me set up my laptop for the presentation. After that both drivers, Zak and Charlotte ask me different questions about the things I had found, and how I would anticipate on certain topics.

"Well, we'll have lunch now. And after that, plans have changed a bit. Lando has unexpectedly gotten two online interviews. We'd like you to shadow his interviews and let us know what he could have done better." Charlotte tells me as we finish up the morning.

"That's fine." I answer, putting my laptop away in my backpack, to empty the table for the lunch that'll be served within five minutes. A whole afternoon with Lando? That could be fun.

***

The afternoon went smoothly, and Lando was an absolute star in his interviews. I mostly gave him some tips about his body language. Telling him to sit up more straight, looking into the camera, rather than at the screen and to smile more often.

His smile is really beautiful.

I actually felt like my dad, correcting Lando on his body language.

"Hi Charlotte." I say, walking into her office. It's judgement time. Let's hear what they think about me.

"Hi Jona," She says, looking up from her laptop. "Please take a seat." And so I do.

"So Jona, I have spoken with all different people, and I have to admit we're quite content with what you've shown so far. You seem to have a click with both Daniel and Lando which is very important. Also Zak and I were very pleased with the report you delivered alongside your presentation this morning." That's positive right?

"Okay." I say, letting Charlotte's words sink in.

"Therefore, we would like to invite you to join us at the Brazilian Grand Prix. You won't have any official duties there, but it's your chance to shadow me. Also you'd get to get a better impression what kind of tasks you'll actually be doing."

"That sounds great." I tell Charlotte, actually excited about this chance they're giving me.

"Alright then, I will be in touch with you about the details around that race week." She says. "I wish you a nice evening, have a great flight back. Thank you for coming." Charlotte says, standing up and showing me the way out.

"Thank you for inviting me, I'll be seeing you in Brazil then." I tell her making my way to the exit, only to realise that I need Lando to get me back to the hotel. I turn back to Charlotte's office. "Charlotte, sorry to interrupt again, but do you know where Lando is?" I ask her.

"Yes, I do. He's getting a few more laps in on the sim. I'll show you to him." She says, walking into one of the hallways I've been to yesterday. "Okay so he's in here. There's a small sitting area as well. You can wait for Lando there." She says, using her key card to open the sim room

"Hey Jona," Daniel says from one of the couches, where he is scrolling on his phone. "How did it go?"

"Great actually, you'll be having to deal with me in Brazil again." I tell him a big smile on my face.

"Really, that's great!" He exclaims, engulfing me in a hug. "I really enjoyed you being here, you bring such a great atmosphere to the room." He says to me.

"Thank you, Daniel." I say, relieved that the room is kind of dark, so he cannot see the blush appearing on my face.

"Hey," I'm a little startled as I hear Lando's voice from behind us, making my blush deepen a bit.

"Hey," I say, turning a bit, so we are all facing each other.

"So what's the good news?" Lando asks.

"You're stuck with me for the Brazilian GP." I tell him, a smile appearing on his face.

"That'll be fun." Lando laughs sharing a look with Daniel. What are these two planning?

***

"Okay so this is you." Lando says, stopping at the front entrance of the hotel I'm staying at. "Jona wait!" Lando says, as I'm closing the door of the car behind me.

"Yeah?" I say turning around, opening the car door again.

"Would you maybe like to do something tonight?" Did he really just do this? "I mean, we could just go for dinner and hang out. Just friendly. But I just don't feel like being alone tonight."

_______________________
It's race weekend! I can't believe there's only three races left in the season. It went by so fast 😭

But because it's raceweekend I want to treat you to an extra chapter; IF this chapter gets 5 votes before the end of the race on Sunday. I'll upload an extra chapter ❤️