28. Lando

It's really fun to see how much more support McLaren gets here in Australia, from having an Australian driver in the team. People here are really fond of Daniel. Which is something the guy really deserves. Having had the difficult year he has had, it's really good to see him come alive a bit more around here.

Joined by Alana and Jona, Daniel and I are roaming around Albert Park on Thursday. We're set to spend our Thursday having fun with fans. That's the briefing Alana and Jona gave us yesterday.

"So this is where we'll be spending most of the time today." Alana says as we stand between turns two and three. "Today, we have invited four fans, who you'll be pairing up with, to do some mini games. We've got five minigames, and the team that wins the most wins bragging rights. The losing team's captain, can make a story on the other person's Instagram. And you can't take it offline." Alana explains, as Jona walks up to Daniel and me with four people.

"These are your teammates." Jona starts. "Morten and Alisha will be joining Daniel. As Ellis and Marie will join Lando."

"He cheated!" I yell, as Daniel claims the victory to the final game.

"I did not, I outsmarted all of you." He counters. "Now give me your phone."

"No, wait I've got something better." I tell, moving Daniel away from Jona and Alana. "What if we force Jona to try the Vegemite now, and you can post that." I suggest.

"She won't do it else, will she?" Daniel asks, a smile creeping up on his face.

"No she won't she googled people eating it last night." I tell him.

"Alright, it's fine with me then. But I want to claim my victory as well." He says patting my shoulder walking back to the group.

"So I know what I want to post on Lando's Instagram." Daniel says as we stand in front of Jona, Alana and the fans that joined us for the video. Leaving a little silence before continuing. "Jona eating Vegemite."

I can see the expression in Jona's face changing, thinking about all the videos she's seen last night and all the articles she's read. "I'm not doing that." Jona says determined.

"You promised. And I get to choose." Daniel counters. "So Alana can you please call someone to bring Vegemite and toast here." Daniel continues moving his attention to Alana.

We only had to wait for 10 minutes before some could get us the supplies we need. "Are you ready?" I ask Jona holding my phone, already recording the scene unfolding in front of me.

"No." She says sternly.

"Well get ready, because here it is." Daniel says, handing her a platter with a piece of toast covered in a dark substance.

"It looks awful." Jona says still trying to get out of this.

"Oh it tastes just as it looks." I hear one of the fans who were in the video say, but I can't pinpoint who it was.

"Great motivation." Jona chuckles.

"Come on eat up." Daniel encourages her as Jona puts the piece of toast to her mouth, taking a small bite.

I can she that Jona's really trying to swallow the bite, a disgusted expression on her face. But I can't help but laugh at what's happening in front of me.

Jona swallows the piece of toast she was chewing on, her gag reflexes immediately kicking in. "This is so gross." She states, as Daniel hand her a bottle of water to clear her mouth of the taste. "Why would someone eat this?"

***

"So why can't we sleep together again?" I pout, as Jona's getting ready to leave my hotel room on Friday evening.

"Because we said you need a proper night sleep before getting in the car. And we both know that I keep you up, with my talking in my sleep." She tells me.

"But I sleep better with you." I state. "I might sleep shorter, but I definitely sleep better."

"Lando." She sighs.

"Jona, please."

"No, we don't sleep in the same bed during race weekends. Point made." She tells me, placing a kiss on my lips. I try to deepen the kiss, persuading her to stay longer. "Not now, Lando." She says, grabbing her room key and phone. Leaving me all alone in my room.

"Fine but if I'm not well rested tomorrow, it's all your fault." I say to her, just before I can hear the door close.

I can sleep okay alone, but having Jona next to me makes me feel so much safer. It calms me down having her next to me.

The next morning I wake up feeling really good. I grab my phone texting Jona good morning, getting ready and going downstairs for breakfast. Jona is already in the breakfast room, wearing work out clothes.

"Good morning," I say giving her a quick kiss.

"Good morning," she says back. Taking another bite of her yoghurt.

"What's with the work out clothes?" I ask, once I've grabbed my breakfast and take a seat next to her.

"I went for a run. I just wanted to move my body a bit." She explains.

"That's great, did you enjoy it?" I ask her, wanting to pay more attention to what Jona does in race weekends as well.

"Nope." She answers way to cheerfully. "I hate running, but it was the only way to release all that energy. And yet I still feel way to energised."

I smile at her stupid comment. "I feel good as well today. Maybe it'll just be a good day then." I tell her as more and more people from the team come down to have their breakfast.

***

"That's it Lando," Zak says to me over the radio.

"Thanks guys, car's feeling great today." I answer, driving into the pit lane, having just driven the fastest lap in FP3. Today's really starting to feel like a good day.

When I climb out of my car, after it's parked back in to the garage, I look around for Jona. Wanting to celebrate this with her. Even though it's not really an accomplishment, it is a huge push for my self esteem.

"She's already in the media pen with Daniel." I hear Alana tell me, as I take off my helmet. Alana hands me my water bottle, and then motions for me to follow her. I guess there's media duties for me as well.

We walk into the media pen, where I can see that Jona's completely focussed on Daniel. She doesn't see me. "Can I have a minute?" I ask Alana, and she grants me it.

I always said that I wouldn't be part of a couple that is way too close in the media. But in this moment I just don't car.

I walk up to Jona. Wrapping my arms around her body. Her body stiffens immediately, not expecting this to happen, a squeal escaping her lips. She turns around in my arms. "Hi," She breathes, but before she can say anything else, my lips are on his.

It's a quick, but meaningful kiss. "Today's a great day so far." I whisper, once our lips part. Knowing very well that a lot of cameras are probably aimed at us.