47. Jona

It's been a while since I put my running shoes on to actually go running. But today's the day I actually get to try and go on a run. With the French Grand Prix being this weekend, it feels like the right time. It's been almost two months, and this is the first time doing something more intense. Except for the dancing we did in Austria of course.

"Are you ready?" Kim asks, walking out of MTC to meet me.

"Let's see how terrible my stamina is." I say, knowing very well that two weeks of barely doing any cardio has hurt my stamina.

"I wanna try and go around the lake. I know it probably won't all be in a jog but we're gonna try. Let's do one minute intervals. One minute jog, one minute walk. If you feel like it's getting to much just let me know."

A jog around the lake at MTC doesn't feel that far, but I know it'll feel far when I'm jogging it. Although we've done double walks around it as part of my rehab as well.

I start the stopwatch on my Apple watch as I start with a one minute walk, just to get my body moving.

"Let's go," Kim says as we're touching the one minute mark. I pick up the pace, immediately noticing that my ankle is still a little sore and the hits it takes from running feel a bit more intense than those from walking.

As soon as we've done two minutes, we go back to walking. "How did it feel?" Kim asks, while I catch my breath.

"Like I'm out of shape." I chuckle, knowing that that was not what she was referring to. "And landing hurts. Pushing doesn't really hurt though."

"We will keep going as long as possible." Kim says as we are picking up the pace again.

"I didn't realize this could be so exhausting." I say to Kim as we arrive back at the entrance of MTC.

"You did well." Kim says to me.

"It feels good, too. A little sore and hurt, but I think it's good we did it." I admit as we go into MTC. "I am gonna take a shower now."

And with that I walk into the employee gym. I feel so incredibly good, that I decide to do some weight training before really getting that shower. I have to admit I'm greatful for the chance McLaren is giving me to rehabilitate.

After doing some core weight excercises, I go into the women's dressing room. The beams of the hot shower feel great on my exhausted body. It feels amazing tot have gotten such a great feeling workout in again.

***
"I am so sore." I moan as I'm walking into the kitchen on Tuesday morning. That small run definitely took its toll on me.

"And here I am wondering whether you'd like to join me for part of my run." Lando says handing me a smoothie.

"Oh I will," I tell him, determined to get back into shape as soon as possible. Well, as much shape as I had to begin with. I'd at least like to do a 5 mile run without having pain again.

Before I know it we're running around Woking. After about 20 minutes we pass the house again, and I decide that this is enough to take for today.

"I've got to go in to see Kim as well today. So I think this is enough." I say to Lando.

"Okay, I'm gonna go for another round." He says, pecking my sweaty lips and jogging away.

It really feels good to be a bit more active again.

I don't take a shower yet, I wait for Lando to get home, take a shower and then drive me to MTC for the rest of my rehab.

"So I think you have sufficient mobility in your ankle to be driving a car again." Kim says as I'm balancing on a beam. "Also feel free to cycle as that really improves mobility." She says, before motioning for me to get of the beam and ending out session.

I quickly go into the dressing room and take a shower. Rinsing the sweat off of me.

***
Lando and I are walking to his car after an afternoon of work on Wednesday. I didn't tell him I was cleared to drive, and I didn't tell him that I was feeling like actually driving in the uk.

But I spoke to my psychologist again this morning and we have decided today is the day.

"So," I start as we're approaching Lando's way to expensive McLaren. I cannot even believe I'm asking him to drive this, while I'm very much aware that I might have a panic attack. "I was thinking maybe I could drive us home."

Lando just looks at me puzzled. "You're cleared to drive then?" He asks

"I am." I tell him, a little anxious.

"And you want to drive? Here in the UK? On the left side of the road?." He asks looking for confirmation.

"I do, but it's okay if you're not comfortable with it." I tell him.

"No that's fine." He says, "I'm with you every step of the way."  He hands me the car keys before heading over to the passenger side himself.

"So, I was thinking. Maybe a lap around the parking lot is enough for today? But let's just see how it goes. I don't really feel like triggering a panic attack." I say twisting the key in the ignition.

"Let's just see how it goes." Lando says. His posture actually really calm.

I back out of the parking spot, taking my place on the small road. Is stay left, trying to remind myself of that every single time we go into another lane of the lot.

"I want to drive home." I say after having driven about four different laps on the McLaren property.

"Okay, just let me know if I need to take over, or you want to stop. That's okay too." Lando reminds me, and I take not of the fact that we are in this together. I do not have to do this all on my own.

I turn on the blinker as we're exiting the parking lot. I quickly realize the driving on the left feels even more unnatural than I had expected it to feel.

"So turn left at the traffic lights, it is a quieter route." Lando says as I pull up at the parking space.

"That's a short turn right?" I ask looking for confirmation still a little confused by driving on the wrong side of the road.

"It is." Lando confirms as the light turns green and I continue to drive.

I can feel my hands getting sweaty as we're driving home, also my heart rate is picking up. That when I pull into the driveway I am eager to turn the engine off. Releasing the tight grip on the steering wheel.

I look down at my hands, they are shaking. But I freaking did it.

"I did it," I say looking at Lando who is still sitting in the car next to me.

"You did it!" He says, placing his lips on mine. "I'm so proud of you."

——————————
Have not seen qualifying but will watch it back later tonight. But yay both McLarens in Q3 and Max on pole so I'm happy ❤️