4. Lando

"Good morning, Lando." Charlotte greets me as I walk into her office. It's not that often that I am in her office at MTC. We mostly meet up at the races, but turns out she's taking the hiring process of an intern more serious this year than ever. 

"Morning," I say as I take a seat next to Daniel in front of her desk. 

"You look like you've been hit by a truck," Daniel comments as I sit down on the chair. 

"I feel like it as well." I comment back. Maybe I should not have played games that long last night. 

"Alright let's start," Charlotte says, taking a seat at her side of the desks. "I have spend the last few days interviewing candidates for the internship position. And I have to admit I was surprised you only picked three candidates. But I was very impressed with the people I spoke to." Charlotte tells us. "Sadly, one of the candidates dit not realise she would be travelling with the team this often, which is why she's no longer considered a candidate." 

"Which one did not make the cut then?" Daniel asks. "The one who had never been to a race, the Dutch girl or the one who's only in it for the pictures." 

Charlotte laughs. "You've really done your research, I see." 

"Of course," Daniel laughs. 

"Well, the one who did not make it is Ellis Green." Charlotte says, "I do not know which one that is in Daniel terminology though." 

"That's the one who's never been to a race." I answer with a chuckle. Daniel could not shut up about the candidates, and the influence we get this time. He really hopes we can have someone we like this time. "So why are we here then? If the interviews have already happened?" 

"I need you to look at the interviews, to see if you feel a connection with either of the candidates. I already have a favourite but I am curious to find out what you both think." Charlotte explains. "Here's a USB with the interviews on it, including videos of the interviews. Please let me know by the end of the day what you think. Both girls are allowed to proceed, I just want to know what you think." 

*** 

And that is how I found myself sitting in my office at MTC, looking at footage of Charlotte interviewing two girls. 

Marissa Grey is 22, lives near Woking and studies Media Sciences. She seems like your typical British girl. She definitely likes to talk about herself. I quickly search out her Instagram. She's over the top. Or at least she seems to be it. Sheer clothing is definitely something she loves too, especially at races. She's been to a few as far as I can tell. She seems a little too serious for my liking though. 

The next video, I am met with a beautiful strawberry blonde girl. Dang it, Daniel really wasn't lying when he told me the Dutch girl was hot. I quickly regain my focus to the video. Jona is talking to Charlotte. It is a very honest conversation, in which she explained how she has always like sports. Being Dutch soccer was of course on the first place, but she has always been following the Moto GP. And when Max entered Formula 1 she quickly became a fan. She really enjoys the sport, the media circus around it and the friendships drivers seem to have. Even though there are individual prices to win, she admires the teamspirit shown in the sport. It was a very natural and open conversation. Much more enjoyable to watch than the one with Marissa that seemed a little scripted and tight. 

I eject the USB drive from the computer, and take it back to Charlotte's office. 

"Hi Charlotte," I say as I enter her office. "I've viewed both videos, and I think I have an absolute favourite." I tell her. 

"You chose professionally may I hope?" she laughs, probably acknowledging that Jona definitely is a beautiful girl. 

"Of course I did," I tell her a playful smile on my face. 

"Good, I have not yet received any input from Daniel, and I am hoping you did not discuss this yet. We'd like to get two independent opinions." She informs me. 

"No I did not, I came straight here after watching." 

"Alright then, tell me your opinion." She tells me as we take a seat on the couch she has standing in the corner of her office. 

I tell her how I am kinda positive about Marissa, she does seem to have the right qualifications, but so does Jona. I tell her how the conversation with Marissa felt scripted and tight, but maybe those are just nerves. I also tell her I really enjoyed her conversation with Jona. It felt so natural and fun. I liked the jokes she threw in every now and then, she seemed really comfortable. 

"I completely agree with you," Charlotte says after my monologue explaining my opinion about both applicants. "Would you like to invite one or both for a day at the office?"

"Both." I answer truthfully. "I would like to give Marissa an honest chance, I think she was a little tight because of her nerves, and I would really like to meet Jona. She seems like a great fit." 

Charlotte nods. "I'll talk with Daniel, but I think we will agree to fly in both girls." She tells me and I leave her office. 

I look at my phone. Jona's Instagram page still open. I should not be doing this. 

But I do anyway. 

I press follow.