18. Lando

Pre season testing. Some might say it's the most boring thing in F1. But that's not me, I like pre season testing, it's the start of a new season. Getting to know a brand new car, and see how it moves is just about the most exciting this when there have been no races for the past months.

I'm just excited for today, being back in the paddock always feels like being home. "Good morning." I greet the engineers as I enter the garage. Just walking around in a McLaren hoodie and some jeans, it feels weird. Usually I'm here wearing my race suit, but that's still in my room.

I just wanted to see the car before I to do some interviews. I needed to have seen what the press probably would have seen as well. One of the engineers quickly gives me a run down of what I can say to the press about this testing session before hand.

"Lando are you ready?" I turn around to see Jona and Charlotte standing there. Jona texted me yesterday, that she'd be doing the things Charlotte used to do around he paddock, with some assistance from Charlotte. Aiming for her to be able to do it on her own later in the season.

I of course, already knew. I had to approve for Jona to be my PR-person to Zak. "Yes," I say grabbing a water bottle and following them to the interview area.

There's only two interviews I had to do before the testing session, and it were very easy interviews, as there has barely been any track action.

After the interviews Jona guides me back to my room like a pro. Giving me the space to sign some signatures, but also making way for me when needed. Charlotte trained her well.

"So after the session, you have to do some more interviews. I'll be waiting for you here, and will guide you there. We'll talk about strategy after you drive, as it'll all be about your on track performance." Jona tells me as we arrive at my room.

"Thanks," I say a small smile lingering on my face.

Driving the car again feels good, of course there are things we'll need to adjust. In general however, I feel good in the car and I've got my lap times to show for that.

"That's what we want the rest of the season." Zak laughs as I get out of my car, knowing very well I've just driven the fastest lap time of the season.

"I would want that as well, but let's see where we stand in Bahrain." I tell Zak, giving him a fist bump.

Once again Jona leads the way, Charlotte on her phone arranging different things. A lot of different television channels wanted me to speak in front of their camera today. The fastest lap time getting them hyped for a potential attack to the top three teams. They're hype rubbing off on me a bit.

"So that's it for you for the day." I hear Charlotte saying to Jona as we arrive back to the garage. I was about to go to the mobile home to shower quickly and change. But I want to ask if Jona wants to go bowling with me, Max and Kelly tonight.

I know it'll probably look like a double date, but I don't want to be third wheeling. And to be honest, Max told me I should ask Jona again, since he had fun with her in Brazil.

"Jona," I say catching up to her, just before she can walk away after her conversation with Charlotte.

"Lando," she counters.

"Uhm, I've got a question that might sound weird, but would you like to go bowling with me, Max and Kelly?" I ask, confusion immediately evident on her face. "It's not a date, both Max and I don't have to drive tomorrow and we wanted to do something fun. And Kelly just so happens to be here."

"Lando," She sighs. "Do you really think it's a smart idea for us to be out with a couple."

"Yes."

"Really?"

"Yes, we've both agreed to be friends, and having fun is part of that." I tell her. But honestly, I'm not that convinced I even believe myself.

"Okay then." Jona says, still hesitant.

"Great, Max and Kelly are coming to our hotel for the bowling. Let's be there at 8." I tell Jona and she agrees.

***

I'm scrolling through my phone as a message from Max comes in.

Max
Party for three or for four tonight?

Lando
four :)

Max

So you had the balls to ask her out?

Lando

Nope, just friend zoned myself even more

I check the time, realising I have to be down at the bowling alley in ten minutes. I get up and change into some jeans and a hoodie, grabbing my wallet and room key and heading to the elevator.

As I enter the bowling alley of our hotel, I immediately notice Jona sitting at one of the lounge booths. She already has a pair of bowling shoes standing next to her a drink in front of her.

"Hi," I say, taking a seat across from her. "What are you drinking?" I ask looking at the fancy looking glass in front of her.

"Uhm..." Jona stammers, looking down at her glass. "It's some kind of cocktail, I told the waiter to surprise me."

"Is it any good?"

"Yeah, it's really nice. I just needed to take the edge of this day." She admits then.

"Rough day?"

"Kinda, a lot of new stuff, lots of impressions. I still can't believe I'm here. It's just a lot to process. And then this night out, I just needed to relax a bit." She admits.

"I understand, my first weekend in F1 I was just like that. All riled up on adrenaline, completely tired from all the impressions." I explain. Jona just looks down, and I know she's struggling a lot.

"I'm just a little scared to be away from family and friends so much." Jona says quietly. I changes places to sit next to her. Putting an arm around her, as she rests her head on my shoulder. "Thanks Lan." She whispers, reaching for her drink and taking another sip.

We just sit there silently enjoying each other's presence, until Max and Kelly enter the bowling alley. And we start bowling.

"I'm not gonna loose to some PSV fan." Jona yells as she and Max are battling for the win in our bowling group. Turns out they are both really competitive and good at it, where as I'm competitive and bad at it. Kelly's just enjoying herself, looking at the scene in front of her.

"Shut up cockroach." Max snaps at Jona hinting at her favourite soccer club Feyenoord. They've both also had a few drinks and seemed to relax a bit more.

"Oh, you did not just say that." Jona say daringly.

"Oh I did, I can't believe you are volunteering to cheer for a team that had to wait 18 years to win their next league title." Max chuckles, causing Jona to get a little mad.

Max and Jona definitely seem to get along quite well. Just because they're Dutch and can press each others buttons a bit.

"I think this is enough Max," Kelly tries to calm Max down as he throws a strike in the last round, which makes him win, ending up in Max singing what I later learned is the Feyenoord goal tune in front of Jona.

***

"Thanks for tonight," Jona slurs a bit as we stand in front of my hotel room later that night. That last cocktail may have hit wrong. "I had fun."

"No problem, I just want to make you feel welcomed." I tell her, as I open my room door and enter my room as soon as possible.

I honestly had fun and I cannot afford to screw this up already. I mean she's starting to trust me, as she told me how she was feeling after today. And I would like her to do that more often.