3. Jona

"Em! Our grocery delivery is at the door." I yell from the shower, as I hear the doorbell rings. "Can you get it, I'm pretty much naked" I laugh at my own stupid comment, as I turn off the hot rays of water that felt so soothing for a minute. 

"On my way." Emily answers, as I hear the front door open. We've shared this apartment since we started our studies two years ago. Emily's parents just so happened to have this spare apartment in Rotterdam. Which they rented out to us, so we did not have to search for an impossible to find student room. 

I grab my towel that was hanging from the side of the sink. Quickly drying myself, and putting on some comfy clothes. It's just what I need after the though day I'm having. The thought of the awaiting McLaren email still present in my mind. 

I walk into my bedroom, grabbing my phone and watch, only to notice that a second email has arrived in the time I was in the shower. I quickly check who it is, careful to avoid the lingering McLaren email. However I am met by the surprise that it is another McLaren email. 

This must be good, right? 

"Emily, Em!" I yell as I'm running into our living room. 

"Yes?" She asks looking up from unpacking our grocery delivery. 

"I got two emails from McLaren!" I exclaim, suddenly noticing that I am probably having some misplaced excitement. I do not even know what is in these emails. 

"Two? What do they say?" Emily asks, excitement clear in her voice. I know she wants me to find an internship I'm excited for, and she has been supportive of my search. 

"I - I  don't know." I stammer. "I'm too scared to read them." 

"Give me that phone." Emily says sternly, grabbing my phone from my hands. "Here we go." Emily says as she opens the first email I received from McLaren. 

Hi Jona, 

My name is Charlotte Sefton and I work as F1 Communications Manager at McLaren. I am sending this email to inform you that we have received your application for the function of "PR Intern Formula 1". 

"If you're just going to tell me that they do not want me, just rip off the band-aid." I tell Emily. Already feeling bad news coming. 

"Ssh, just listen." 

We have reviewed your application, and we are impressed with what you've shown in it. Therefore, we would like to inform you that you are moving forward in our application process. I will be sending an email later regarding the information about the process. 

OH MY GOSH. "They want me?" I stammer at Emily who is looking at me with the biggest smile possible. 

"They do." She say proudly. 

"Okay give me my phone back. I need to read that second email as well." I tell her reaching for my phone. 

I quickly read over the email, in which I learn I'm one of the three remaining candidates. Next week we will be asked to do an online interview with Charlotte. If the result of that interview is positive, we will be asked to come to MTC for a face to face interview. And after that, if they are still positive it could be a proper match between me and the team. I will be flown out to either the Brazilian GP or Saoudi Arabian GP. 

"Oh my gosh Em, this is really my chance!" I cheer happily engulfing my best friend in a hug. 

*** 

I am sitting in my room looking at the screen of my MacBook. Awaiting the Zoom meeting to start. I take a deep breath, to calm down my nerves. This is my only chance. 

In the week following the McLaren I received rejections from the remaining F1 teams. If I want to intern at a Formula 1 team, I have to ace this interview. 

It is in that moment that a face I recognise from different F1 interviews appears on my screen. 

"Good afternoon, Jona." The lady on my screen says. 

"Good afternoon." I greet her. 

"First of all, I want to tell you that you do not necessarily have to worry about this interview. We are just going to talk a bit. I want to get to know you a bit better, just to see if your personality could match our team's. Don't worry about anything else, we're just going to have a chat." Charlotte tells me, and I relax a little bit. 

***

I do not know how I was this nervous for the interview with Charlotte. It was a very casual interview. Just talking about who I am, what I like to do in my free time. Of course they know my qualifications from the application, but since the intern will be travelling with the team a lot, they need to know how you are as well. 

Charlotte and I even had a few laughs, and after about an hour we ended our call. Let's just hope she had as positive of an experience as I had. 

She told me I was the last of the three candidates to have their interview and choices would be made tomorrow. 

I'll just have to wait and see.