Chapter 41 | Traitor

Your surroundings mix into plain colors. No branch slaps your face, no leaf touches your skin. Only the wind strokes over your it with its sharp claws trying to get a hold of you. The smell of wet wood emerges from the trees. You taste rain in the wind and fear in the cold air.
Tori is a black dot, swooshing through the colors. The panic alone makes it possible for you to follow her. Your heartbeat drums in your ears, silencing every sound around you.
You can't stop thinking one thing: Please don't let it be too late.
Your legs dash forward without you telling them to do so. They move on their own.
You don't feel drained or exhausted. You don't feel anything except for panic.
You don't know where you're going even though you've been hear a hundred times.

Other questions circle through your mind.
What do I do about Tengen-sama? What if he kills him? How should you react if he still is alive?

You suddenly remember when you first fucked up.
When you thought you would have to leave the demon slayer corps. When you nearly were in the same situation as now. When you had the mission to kill him. When you didn't. When you hid him. And Oyakata-sama knew it. Somehow he knew that he didn't escape but you let him. Somehow he knew that you were lying as you told him that he was too strong and fast for you and you couldn't track him. Somehow he knew that you gave him a chance to survive.
That's when you had to atone for what you did by becoming the student of Tengen-sama. So you couldn't act and live freely but under the control of a sensei. Like a predator that constantly throws a shadow on your back everytime you start flying because he always keeps an eye on you from above.
So this wouldn't happen again and you would learn from your mistake.
Oyakata-sama would have been just if he had banned you. But he didn't because he always believes in humans. He believes in the good in them.
Maybe he was wrong this time.
You will do the same mistake again, even more than that.
You mentally prepare for your last encounter with Tengen-sama and Tokito-san. Giyu-san stopped following you a while ago. Maybe he has trust in the other hashiras to stop you.
A pulling pain in your chest makes you squint your eyes. A single tear drops from them and disappears somewhere below you.
You always knew that this day would come. Where you would have to to deceive Oyakata-sama again and finally.

You raise your speed as you can feel the presences of two hashiras. A tiny blue outline and a big one. They aren't together but alone. No demon is close to them.
You just wish Tengen-sama wouldn't be there.
You unintentionally touch the hair clip he gave you yesterday. It already feels so far away. With a bad feeling in your stomach you pull the clip out of your hair and put it a pocket.
That's statement enough.
You gulp and try to focus on him. If possible you don't want to meet the hashiras first but him. But you assume that they can already notice you too. So wherever you go they will follow.

Another presence appears in your perception. A presence you've missed and didn't feel for months. Your lips curve upwards as you see the red outline in your mind. Only a bit tho.
Seconds later you get the connection with him. You can feel his heart rapidly pumping blood through his body. Sweat is forming on his cold, hard skin and his muscles are tense.
You take a route that guides you immediately to him. Tori realizes your change and is now following you.
"I'm here!", you shout in your mind.
"I'm here", you repeat over and over again until his heartbeat finally slows down a little and he calms down.
He got your message.
Only a few meters are parting you.