Chapter 6 | Affection

The next morning, again, Tori knocks on your window to tell you your new mission. Again, you're not allowed to fight and Hachiko is your company. This time the demon appeared in a forest in the mountains you live in. Of course it's not directly next to you but at least you don't have to walk for half a day.

***

It's been a stronger demon than the one in Takayama, with four arms and three eyes. It was ugly and smelled like trash.
That's the good point in not fighting them. You don't have to be next to them all the time but can hide wide away and just watch.

Hachiko isn't hurt at all but she's lost in thoughts all the time. Now and then she's smiling.

"What's up with you?" you ask on your way back.

Hachiko doesn't stop walking but hesitates before answering: "I'm thinking about Tengen-sama."

It's the first time you hear her say that term.
Something changed by the way she talks about him. Only after 5 days.

"And what are you thinking? About his childish behavior?"

She shakes her head.
"I wouldn't say he's childish. He trys his best to stay motivated and happy. That's mature, isn't it? "

Now you're the one hesitating.
You don't know him enough to judge that answer, you think to yourself.

"Yeah, whatever."
You keep looking at Hachiko because she still didn't answer your question.

"I...just don't understand him. One day he wants me with everything I have and the next day he is annoyed that I want to spend time with him."

You take a moment to sort the images in your mind. The shy Hachiko begging a hashira to fuck her or whatever she meant by 'spending time'. The images kinda don't match.
"Whaaat? Isn't it obvious that he uses women?"

Hachiko's face turns read.
"Is it?"

"Yeah."

"Fuck."

You stop walking to look at her with eyes wide open.
DID HACHIKO JUST CURSE?!
She's making a complete character development right now. Or you just judged her wrong.

She notices that you stare at her and turns around. As if she would now remember what she just did she starts apologizing.
"I am so sorry. I didn't want to say that."

"It's okay haha. I was just shook."

Hachiko smiles slightly and begins to walk again.

"I wonder...how or why did you get here anyways?" you ask.

"I came here volunteerly. Oyakata-sama allowed me to join a hashira for a couple of time to get stronger. It was on me who I would join so I decided to go here."

"But why?" you dig deeper.

"I don't know...he seemed cool."
While answering Hachiko doesn't look at you to hide her embarrassment.

You chuckle.
It's easy to imagine what's going on in Hachiko's mind. At least she's not the only one who would give everything for his attention. The other girls are as desperate as her.

You sigh, the wind rushing through your hair and haori.
How calming the nature can be.

After a while of silence Hachiko whispers: "He said something about you the last time I was at his room."

You raise your eyebrows.
"Le me guess, he said that he doesn't want me to be at his place."

Hachiko shakes her head.
"No. He said that even though he dislikes your behavior in the past, he likes the way you're thinking."