Chapter 40 | Nothing lasts forever

You don't sleep much. As expected when going to sleep with the rising sun. It's not a big deal for you tho. When having a mission it's common to not get much sleep.
It's the hunger which wakes you up.
You slowly open your eyes and easily get used to the dim light. A cold breeze strokes over your naked ass that is no longer covered by the blanket. You yawn and pull the blanket over it. Still tired you let your head drop to the side.
An empty space with only a blanket is all you can find. You're immediately awake.

You sit up in bed and look around. A giant plant stands in each corner of the room, making it come alive. No picture or mirror decorates the walls. There's only the futon in the center of the room that you were sleeping on. With Tengen-sama. Who's now gone.

Maybe he just went to the bathroom?

Luckily you don't have an headache from yesterday. You wonder if Tengen-sama is sober again. He drank a lot of sake yesterday.
Thinking back to your dance you smile.
You're excited to how Tengen-sama will greet you.
Waiting you observe the plants. None of them seems to be able to get flowers. They are just stems and leaves.
Not what you would expect Oyakata-sama to place in his own house as he likes flowers a lot.
The garden behind his house is enormous and filled with different kinds of plants and flowers. Most of them are purple and pink. He takes good care of them together with his daughters. It's an honor to step into that paradise where your senses are overwhelmed by what they smell and see.
Standing amid the flowers often made you rethink your decision to become and stay a demon slayer. You could have been a farmer or whatever. You could have built your own paradisiacal garden where you would be surrounded by butterflies, flowers and beauty the whole day. Instead you chose to be covered in blood most of the time and smell the disgusting stench of blood and human flesh.
Maybe you will buy a house with a garden someday. When you've paid off your debts and have enough money to fulfill that dream.
The salary a hashira gets is higher than the one of your rank...

You know this house as good as Tengen-sama's. You know that he didn't go to the bathroom. He would be back by now as it is just around the corner. You stand up and push the curtains to the side. You squint your eyes and look for the sun. Must be around 3pm.
Standing at the window it takes a few seconds until you remember that you're naked and quickly jump back. Hopefully only the forest could see you.

You pick up your kimono and weapons and put them on. With your fingers you brush through your hair and put it in a bun. Then you shove the doors open.

The hallway is flooded by light. Oyakata-sama definitely is too naive or thinks to good of the humanity. He always keeps every door of his house open when the sun is shining. It would be the easiest thing for a criminal to just take something out of the house.
But Oyakata-sama doesn't believe in this situation. For him only the sunlight counts. It feels like Oyakata-sama is a flower himself as he longs for the sun like one.

You step into the hallway and walk to the dining room. You expect at least one person sitting there. And you want to eat something.

Strangely the room's empty. No people are in there but the food is still fresh. They must have eaten just a few minutes ago.
You decide that it's okay to eat a couple of mochis. Just then you realize how quiet it is. Overall that's nothing uncommon for this sacred house but eight people slept in this house. And especially one person shouldn't be gone.

After finishing your breakfast you search for anyone. You're not calling them as it's unfriendly to do it here. You go from room to room, knock on every closed door but no one's opening the. Sighing you leave the house. The last possibility.

You're successful. On the porch on two benches sit Oyakata-sama, Mitsuri-san and Giyu-san. Oyakata-sama sips on a cup while the hashiras seem to guard him.