Chapter 14 | Friends

The squeak of the bed pulls you out of your dreamless sleep. You're so tired that your eyes won't open directly. You stretch before wondering where you are.
Looking around you remember. Not only because Tengen-sama's messy hair is facing you.
"What time is it?" is your first question.

"7 am. The competition will start in half an hour. Hurry up!" Tengen-sama answer. His morning voice is raspy and even deeper.

Hot.

You somehow are sad that he left the bed without you.

You jump out of bed and grab your uniform. While doing so Tengen-sama goes into the bathroom to get ready and change. Waiting outside you brush your hair and braid it. The excitement now makes you nervous. Maybe it's more the fact that you don't know anything yet.

Tengen-sama leaves the bathroom with his freshly made make-up. It's impressive how fast he can do it. With his hair up in a bun he looks intimidating again.
"We ain't got time for breakfast...I hope that's okay" he confesses.

"Yeah that's no problem. I don't need breakfast anyways" you answer with a wave of your hand.
With this you enter the bathroom and get ready. It's making you crazy how the butterflies in your stomach appear. Not because of Tengen-sama tho. Of course not of him! But because of the competition. You didn't participate in a competition like this ever.

After skipping breakfast the two of you sit in the room waiting. It's not awkward strangely. Everyone is busy with themselves.
A while passes and there's a knock on the door.
Excited you watch Tengen-sama as he opens it and a black haired man with a Hyottoko mask enters.

"Haganezuka-san!" you greet throwing your hands in the air.

He moves his head to the side in order to see you behind Tengen-sama who just greeted him.
"Y/n. It's been so long since I last saw you. I am happy to see you again."

"So am I" you answer with a friendly smile.

Tengen-sama looks at you and Haganezuka-san suspiciously. Haganezuka-san walks past him and knees down on the floor in front of the bed you are sitting on.
He grabs a towel and unfolds it dramatically slow. A blade looks at you ready to sync.
"Here you go. It took me hours of my sleep but for you I will sacrifice it anytime" the smith states.

You giggle and grab the katana. The colour immediately changes into grey.

"How come you know each other so well? Haganezuka-san, you're normally not the friendly one..." Tengen-sama wants to know.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT?!" he screams.

That's a thing you love about him. He doesn't care who is in front of him. His pride is gigantic and no one is allowed to harm it.

"Y/n is a very caring person. No one treats my weapons as good as her. She never lost or broke a weapon but steels them very fast. She can cut through everything with them very fast and everytime I meet her and my weapons again I can feel the katana laughing of joy" Haganezuka-san explains in an outraged voice.

You blush. Tengen-sama sees it.

"Interesting" he answers ironically.

What about that tone?

"Y/n, I wish you the best luck. Sadly I won't be able to watch your win but I trust in your change of mind to use a two sword fighting style. I wanna hear your katanas sing!" Haganezuka-san motivates.
He nods Tengen-sama goodbye and leaves the room.
Now there's this awkward silence again.

"You have 5 more minutes. Then we'll leave and be separated" Tengen-sama says in a monotone voice. A shadow is in his face. You don't like that but you're familiar with it so you just grab your new katana and put it in the sword sheath. Now there's a katana on your left and on your right side of your waist. With a flattering heart you realise that you look more like a student of Tengen-sama using two weapons as well. You don't know anyone who uses two blades except for Tengen-sama.

There isn't a sign you can figure out but Tengen-sama seems to know when to leave the room and where to head to. He walks in front of you being more faraway than ever. You completely stand in his shadow and it's driving you wild.

Why is he so mean? He's like a girl with mood swings.

As you leave the house of Oyakata-sama an unknown man of the demon slayer corps waits for you. He blindfolds you so you don't know where you go. Tengen-sama doesn't complain and also doesn't say goodbye. He just ignores you and walks into a different direction. At least that's what you hear.

The man guides you through the wilderness. You stumble multiple times because he suddenly changes directions and you get the feeling that he walks in a circle sometimes. He gives his best to irritate you.

Half an hour passes until you finally get to stand still and the man takes of your blindfold. You blink like you were dizzy and try to figure out where you are. Wherever you look there's trees. Trees, trees and more trees. Here and there a rock.

Wow, I love this diversity. you think

Suddenly you freeze. Out of the corner of your eye you noticed it. It's creepy. It's creepy that you didn't realise in the first place that you're not alone. Slowly you turn your head to the left. A small, black haired girl stands next to you looking at you. She wears a butterfly hair tie or whatever it is and her haori also shows the patterns of butterfly wings. Her eyes are as deep as Tengen-sama's. Liveless and enthusiastic at the same time.
Even though she scared the shit out of you she seems calm and friendly.

"Are you y/n?" she whispers so silently that you have to concentrate to understand her.

You hide your confusion.
"Uhm...yes and you are?" you want to know.

"Kanao. We're partners."

Now you remember.
Wait- this is Kanao? The girl that will put you in her shadow if you would believe Tengen-sama.

"Oh yeah. Hi! I'm happy to be working with you" you try to overplay the shame that you didn't notice and know her.

A happy tiny smile appears on her lips.

She's kinda cute. You're not sure if she's actually able to harm anything...
On the other hand you didn't notice her immediately.

"Ladies I need your attention now. I will be explaining the competition" the man that blindfolded you and stood behind you all the time suddenly interrupts.

You turn towards him excited.

"Your aim is to reach the house of Oyakata-sama. Somewhere near it is a porcelain crow that you have to get. The one who holds it when the time is up is the winner. You may not hurt others severely. You may not use your katanas to hurt a participant. You may not break the porcelain crow. You have to win in your team. If the time's up and there isn't anyone holding the crow the team with the best strategy wins. Once unconscious you're disqualified even if you get conscious again after a couple minutes" the man explains.

You look at Kanoe who doesn't seem to be bothered by the rules.

"There are six teams with two members. You have three hours. Have fun and good luck."

A loud shoot opens the competition before you can say a word. Kanao stares at you intensely making a gesture with one hand to follow her. Overwhelmed you just trust her and start running into the forest.