Chapter 26 | Donuts 🍈

It's around midnight as you start to walk back to the mansion.
The fight didn't last long and you got the impression that the demon was way too weak for your rank and someone else could have done it. But you don't question Oyakata-sama's decisions and just are happy that you can go to bed earlier than expected.

You're currently walking on a field path covered in black. It's so dark that you can only guess where the path actually is and now and then the high grass touches you as you walk in the wrong direction.
To distract yourself with something you grab your 'sweets' out of a pocket and start snacking your donuts out of a paper bag.

They're not actually sweets to be honest but you didn't want to tell the hashiras that you like eating donuts. Sounds kinda strange...

While eating you hum a famous song to join the cicadas (and to not get scared). Sometimes the night is scary to you. Everything bad happens at night...

The speed of your heartbeat rises as you think about the creepy side of the night. You hate when this fear appears when you're outside and alone. You'd rather want to hide somewhere but there's literally nothing on this field and if there is something you can't see it.

Why is it that demons are only active at night? It would be so much easier if they weren't.

Without any warning or sound that could have warned you a hand touches your shoulder and a curious voice asks: "What song are you humming?"

Being unable to see the attacker your heart jumps wildly and you can't hold back a loud, high pitched scream.

You run away a few steps and try to recognize anything in the dark. Your heart beats in your ears and you can feel the sweat forming on your forehead.
A big shadow is coming towards you with the hands in the air.

"Wow. I'm not that ugly" a familiar voice soothes you.

You sigh deeply and stand straight again.

"Oh my gosh, never do that again. You scared the shit out of me" you say.

Tengen-sama chuckles: "Yes, obviously. I'm sorry about that."

You roll your eyes and go back on the path your shoulder touching Tengen-sama's arms slightly.
"What are you doing here anyways?" you want to know to hide your embarrassment.

"I wanted to make sure that you're safe and that you not get scared of men who ask you which song you are humming" he answers and you know that he is grinning right now.

How you didn't miss his goofy side.

"You're awful. The song was 'stay with me'" you answer while chewing your donut.

"Oh I know that one. Mitsuri-san always sings it when she's at Oyakata-sama's place."

You remember the shy girl with the big boobs.

"And what about that donut? Is that your 'sweets'?" Tengen-sama asks sarcastically.

The ground under your feet gets harder so you suspect that there soon will begin a normal street not this field path.

"You got a problem with that?"

Tengen-sama chuckles.
"Not at all. Are donuts your favorite sweets?"

You wonder why the atmosphere is so relaxed. Even though your heart should jump out of your chest you're calm and enjoy Tengen-sama's presence.

"I pretty much like them but it's not often that I get to eat them. It's more common that I eat lollipops when I'm looking for sweets so I'd say that lollipops are my favourite sweets" you explain.