50. Meeting with the manager

_____________________

| December 22nd, Tuesday, 2020|

  The girls were split all over the living room on a Tuesday afternoon. Remi was resting on Annie's lap, sitting on the three-place sofa. Jaein was on her other side and Boram was sitting down on the floor after just arriving from school.

  There was a romance drama airing on the TV in front of them, but no one was paying much attention. Jaein was more of an American shows' fan, Annie loved criminal dramas, Remi enjoyed comedies and thrillers, while Boram stuck with Japanese animation when she had time to watch something.

  And why were they like that, having three performances and one award show within the next week? Well, Yujin had messaged them on the groupchat, saying they needed to talk and everyone should be there by 3 pm.

"Did you guys listen to-"

  Remi was interrupted by two familiar knocks on the door.

  All the girls exchanged looks in despair.

  They knew that knocking pattern way to well.

"I thought Yujin was coming?!"

  Remi yelled, quickly raising her head.

"Me too!"

  Annie grabbed all the empty snack bags and rushed to the kitchen.

"And she was!"

  Jaein fixed her hair, putting it in a high ponytail, hearing the password being typed outside.

"Does this mean we're getting scolded...?"

  Unlike her older friends, Boram spoke quietly, audible only to herself.

  Just a second later, the door opened.

"Oh, I'm glad you're all here."

  Dongchul said, walking to the kitchen with a plastic bag after leaving his shoes at the door.

"Hi! We thought Yujin was coming."

  The leader took the initiative.

"And she was, but after discussing a little we figured it was better if I came."

  They once again looked at each other. That definitely meant they were being scolded.

"I brought a few snacks for you, you can grab them later, if you want."

  No one was very cheerful about it.

  If it were Yujin saying that, they'd be thanking her nonstop with huge smiles on their faces, but it was Dongchul. Dongchul bringing snacks meant "don't eat normal snacks anymore, eat these diet ones that I brought".

"Ah...thank you, Dongchul!"

  Their maknae spoke with a grin.

"Should we sit down now?"

  All of them directed themselves to the sofas in the living room, the girls squishing themselves in one to leave the two-place sofa for their manager.

"Yujin warned me you're all aware of your vacation already, we just need to sort a few things out."

  They nodded.

"You're having the first week of January off and you can go visit your families, but make sure to take cameras and get enough content for at least a 5-minute long vlog."

  He directed his gaze to the one on the furthest right.

"...Annie, you have a Festival to take part in and we won't be able to pay for your airplane expenses to visit your family. You're free to go to other cities around here, though."

Oh.

Wow.

That seems a bit unfair.

"It's okay, I understand."

I still have Hyoseop anyway.

  The girls looked at her with pity in their eyes. They all knew it had been years since Annie had been to Canada and, even though her older brother was around, it wasn't the same as meeting her parents, or even seeing how her little sister was growing up.

"One more thing."

  They concentrated on the man again.

"I've been advised to make Annie and Boram go to the gym."

"But we already do?"

  Boram tilted her head.

"Once in a lifetime, if I'm not mistaken."

  Annie let out a sheepishly smile.

"We already exercise a lot through dancing, I don't think it's necessary..."

"Jaein and Remi go to the gym nearly every day, what's stopping you?"

  A little offended, she straightened her posture.

  "With all due respect, Dongchul, do you know how exhausting Boram's schedule is? She's only 17, but she's managing to be a top student and a pro idol! She barely has time to watch a full episode of a drama, and you want her to go to the gym? If she keeps this pace, the next place you'll take her will be the hospital."

Annie spoke calmly, not stopping looking at his eyes for even a second.

He wanted her to go to the gym? Yeah, she hated the idea, but fine, she'll manage. But Boram? The girl already goes through so much, and they're making her go the gym for some stupid beauty standards? Oh, hell no.

"Annie..."

  Boram spoke almost in a whisper, holding the elder's hand. Without a word, she squeezed it back.

"Alright, fine. And you? What's your excuse? Because if you don't have one, you're leaving to the gym now and exercising for the both of you."

Ah, shit.

I'm in trouble.

_________________________