44. Keeping a friendship

________________________

| December 11th, Friday, 2020 |

  The day was looking gloomy, the sky was grey and there were barely any clouds visible, despite it being eleven in the morning. It was also very cold outside, no one dared to leave without wearing at least two jackets.

"Great job, everyone! Let's eat now."

  Bangchan announced, making the boys and girls cheer.

"Where should we eat? Do you want to eat together?"

  Changbin directed his gaze towards the girl group.

"It's cold, why don't we eat at the company's restaurant?"

  Annie suggested, receiving a mostly positive response.

"I was craving pizza though..."

  The youngest pouted.

"Aren't you on a diet?"

  Her leader asked, earning a sheepishly smile.

"To the restaurant you said? Let's go!"

  Laughing, they all followed her one by one, the eldest staying behind.

"You're such a dad."

  Annie commented while tying her shoes.

"I'm not! I just want to make sure no one's left behind."

"That's what a good dad does."

  She patted his back before leaving the room.

"Fine. Then how is my kid doing?"

  He quickly catched up, matching steps with the girl.

"Not bad, I met with my brother yesterday, it was fun. He said he missed you, by the way."

"Really!? He still remembers me? How long has it been...two years?"

  Chan looked up, making the maths inside his head.

"Probably? We three should meet up for the holidays, I'll call Jimin too."

"Just like the old times?"

"Just like the old times."

  The two reached the restaurant and found their members sitting at three different tables, as there wasn't enough space for everyone. Looking around a little more, they found Han sitting by himself on a table for four.

"Hey! Why are you alone?"

  Chan sat down beside him with a worried expression.

"There weren't enough seats for everyone."

And Lee Know didn't come to sit with him?

"Do they not know how to divide? Why are there full tables when you're here alone?"

  Annie scoffed, glaring at the ones laughing together and completely ignoring the boy.

"Calm down, Rim, it's okay."

  He grinned, pulling her sleeve so she could sit down.

"Are you my wife?"

"What?"

"Because you're acting like a mum."

"Hey! I can understand English! And I do not give you my blessing."

  Han intervened, causing the two to look back at him.

"Why? Wouldn't I be a good wife?"

"Yes! But you and Channie don't match."

"Why?"

"So you think I'd be a good wife?"

  The boy looked nervous at them, not knowing what to answer first - not like he had an actual answer to give.

"Aren't you going to eat? Go get your food!"

"You go first, I don't want to leave him alone."

  Chan nodded at her words, hurrying to the food table.

  As he did so, Annie remembered the conversation she had yesterday. How can she find out whether her friend likes his group mate or not without being too straightforward? If the answer was negative, would he feel offended with the question? If it was positive, would it make him uncomfortable that someone else knows?

"Just say it."

  Annie looked up, raising her eyebrows at the one who spoke.

"It's clear you're hesitating to tell me something, just do it."

Am I that easy to read?

"Are you sure?"

  He nodded.

"So...do you perhaps...uh, how do I say it...have you ever had a crush on a team mate?"

  She rushed the words out, squinting her eyes while her heart started beating faster.

"What!?"

  Han said a little too loud, making a few of their friends turn to them. He quickly signed that it wasn't anything big and went back to the conversation.

"No way. Why are you asking me that? Did you think I liked someone?"

"No! I was just talking with another idol friend the other day and she told me she had a crush on someone from her group. I was wondering if you'd have some tips to help her."

  Annie explained, smiling when she realised the younger had fallen for the excuse.

"Not really...but it's kind of the same thing as liking a friend, right? If it were me, I'd hide it until I was sure the feelings were mutual, you don't want to ruin the friendship nor your group."

  He looked down, fidgeting with his fingers.

"Yeah..."

  Hiding your romantic feelings to maintain a nice friendship. Both of them knew that feeling very well.

_____________________________________