35. Back again

___________________________

| November 23rd, Monday, 2020 |

  Lee Know was definitely a mind reader. While the girl took a shower the past night, he organised all of his things and laid down to sleep (or at least pretend), so she wouldn't feel awkward.

  Okay, maybe Annie was just really obvious about how awkward she felt around him, but could you blame her? Especially now that she found out she has a thing for the guy?

  And maybe that's why she nearly freaked out when she realised he had woken up before her.

Shit. What if there's something on my face?

Maybe I can just wait until he leaves...but if he doesn't?

I mean, I probably look okay, right? He won't look that good either, so he's not in position to judge me.

  Annie carefully pulled the blanket from above her head, trying not to be noticed.

  Bad idea. Lee Know was passing right by her side.

Shit. Shit. Did he see me?

"I'm going to wait outside, don't take too long."

  Next thing she heard was the door closing.

"Oh my fucking God. That was so embarrassing!"

  The girl took her time cursing herself for being so awkward while also "getting ready" - there wasn't much to be done actually, her clothes weren't dry yet and she had no toothbrush nor skincare products with her, just a lip balm.

● ● ● ● ●

"We're in trouble."

  Lee Know stated as the taxi approached the shelter.

"Oh no..."

  Dongchul and a Stray Kids manager were at the shelter's entrance, talking with Mrs. Park.

  Annie didn't have her phone the past night. Lee Know's ran out of battery as soon as they left the market. None of them went home...of course something bad would happen.

"Is it too late to run away?"

  She asked, forcing a laugh.

"I'm the Stray Kid here, let's go."

  The girl laughed quietly, leaving the car after him.

"Oh! There they are! You're back, kids!"

  Mrs. Park waved happily - as if she hadn't sent them to death less than 24 hours ago.

"Hello...hey..." "Hello."

  Annie and Lee Know bowed to everyone, trying to figure out the conversation the elders were having just a minute ago - their managers didn't look as worried as the two thought they would be.

"I told them I let you sleep in the staff rooms and that I asked you to go to the market first thing in the morning and that's why you didn't have time to check your phones..."

  The lady smiled with the corner of her eyes.

  Both idols glanced at each other, fairly confused, but also glad.

"Ah! Right. I'm sorry, Dongchul, I was really sleepy this morning."

"When are you not sleepy, Annie?"

  Although the guy meant to scold her, his sentence earned laughs from everyone but the girl.

"Why do your clothes look wet, Minho?"

  His manager spoke after the silence took place.

"Oh, uhm- We ran there and I got a bit sweaty...you know, morning workout."

God, even Mrs. Park is a better liar.

"You too?"

  Dongchul glanced down, towards the wet sweater Annie was holding.

"Huh? A-ah! I let this fall on a puddle."

  Lee Know tried not to show his disappointment at the girl's answer.

"Oh my God, we should wash it now! Would you gentlemen want to have breakfast with us?"

  Once again, the old lady saved the day.

"Sur-" "Thank you, but we need to take the kids back."

  As expected, Dongchul was a job focused guy who didn't even have space for a nice old lady in his heart.

"Oh, right. They have a morning practice! I'm sorry, Mrs. Park."

Oh my God, I have practice today...

  Annie and Lee Know quickly grabbed everything they had left inside the shelter and entered their vans.

  As if nothing happened.

  As if they hadn't slept inside the same room, with two beds beside each other.

  As if Annie hadn't just acquired feelings for the guy she swore she'd hate for as long as she lived.

_____________________________________