chapter sixty: when fates collide

I apparated us down to the courtyard. Once we landed, he squeezed my hand. I gave him a reassuring look before letting go and running to Harry. The light from both of their wands stopped as I ran up.

"Well, at least you inherited my resilience," Voldemort scoffed. "Too bad the resemblance stops there."

"It all stops here."

He went to fire at us, but we both blocked it. Voldemort cursed, looking at his wand.

"I told you it won't work for you," Harry pointed out. Before Voldemort could say anything else, someone cried out from behind us.

"No," I yelled as I took in the scene behind me. Hermione and Ron had fallen in the rubble, and Nagini was on top of them, ready to strike. Before either of us could react, Neville swung the Sword of Gryffindor. A wind flew through the courtyard as realization hit. That's the last horcrux.

Harry and I quickly turned back to Voldemort, firing at the same time. Our light began to gain on him as he crippled. He was human again. There was nowhere else for him to run.

The moment seemed to drag on. Even when he fell to the ground, I couldn't believe it. I waited for him to get back up. I waited for him to call all the death eaters and for me to be forced back under his control. I waited to lose. But we didn't. He was dead. We had won. It didn't seem real until George grabbed my arm.

"You did it," he smiled, hugging me. My gaze was still on Voldemort's body. He's not gone. He's never gone. George leaned away, tilting my face towards him. "Darling, look at me." I met his gaze. He searched my face. "He's gone. It's over."

"He's gone?" I whispered, voice cracking. He nodded, rubbing his thumb against my cheek. "Bellatrix is gone?" He nodded again. I put my hand against the back of my neck. It didn't sting anymore. "It's over."

"It's over," he repeated. I sighed as a smile spread across my face.

"It's over," I cried, throwing my arms around his neck. He wrapped his arms around my waist, once again holding me like our lives depended on it. And for once, they didn't.

***

We found the rest of the Weasley family and celebrated, then took a second to mourn, then joined everyone in the Great Hall. I saw the Malfoys sitting in the corner. I gave George's hand a squeeze. He looked down at me and followed my gaze.

"Do you want me to go with you?"

"No," I shook my head before looking up at him. "But thank you for offering."

"Say the word, and I'm there." He kissed the top of my head before going to sit with the rest of his family. I took a deep breath before heading to the Malfoys. None of them stood up. For a moment, we all just looked at each other. My gaze settled on Draco. I could see the exhaustion in his eyes. The fear, agony, it was all still there, but Merlin, he was exhausted. It kind of felt like the first day of school all over again. I gave him a gentle smile.

"We're free."

His shoulders relaxed as he stood up. He pulled me into the most bone crushing hug I thing he'd ever give. I held onto him just as tight. "I'm so proud of you."

"I'm proud of you." I closed my eyes. "I'm so sorry he put you through everything he did. I'm going to clear your name. I promise."

"Don't apologize for him." He leaned back. "And what about your name? It was plastered all over the papers for months."

"My name was also in the log of Order meetings."

He furrowed his brow. "You were, what? The Order?" I nodded. "What the hell, Larissa? For how long?"