chapter thirty-nine: three hidden gems

One morning, after I actually managed to get more than two hours of consecutive sleep, I woke up to something hitting my window. I looked up to see the all too familiar bird with another note tied to his leg. I pulled the blanket off the back of the couch over my body, hoping the owl would leave. When the pecking continued, I groaned, throwing the blanket down. I started unlocking the window. The cool November air hit me, and I took a moment to admire the changing leaves before looking down at the bird. "You're just as pestering as your owner."

The owl sat perched on my bed, waiting for me to come sit down. I shook my head, sitting in front of it. He dropped the letter in front of me. When I didn't immediately reach for it, he pushed it my way. I sighed, untying the letter. He continued to stare at me.

"I can't read it right now," I informed, getting up to fill a bowl with water. I poured some from the pitcher I kept in my room. "Drink while I get you some food. And keep quiet. The last thing I need is anyone finding out you're here." I removed the curse from my door before quietly sneaking downstairs. It was early so no one was up. At least, not that I saw. I typically kept treats in my room, but I was out and hadn't had a chance to sneak off to Diagon Alley. I grabbed some crackers and quietly went back upstairs. I closed my door, sitting back on the bed. "You better eat quick because you can't stay long." He once again simply poked the letter. "I can't read it right now." When he looked up at me, I groaned, picking up the letter. I opened it, recognizing the familiar scrawl. I glanced at the bird to see him finally eating.

Larissa

I stopped right there. He'd never opened a letter using my actual name. My stomach fell as I debated continuing. The bird stared at me like it knew I was about to stop. "Okay, I'm going. Calm down." I took a deep breath before reading on.

Larissa,

I've been living in the Daily Prophet. Please tell me you're okay. Really you, not Minister you.

Yours,

G. Weasley

Minister me? Could he really read me through pictures? A knock on my door drew me away from rereading the letter over and over again. I jumped up, picking up the owl. "Go," I whispered, holding it out the window. He looked at me for a moment before flying off. I tried to fix my hair before swinging the door open. Lucius gaped at me. I'm sure I looked a mess after weeks of tossing and turning. I usually managed to rejuvenate my face a little before I saw anyone so no one could tell I hadn't been sleeping. "What?"

"I, um, there was a call for you at the Ministry, and-"

"Well, does it look like I'm on my way to work yet?"

"No, but-"

"So I don't need to be bothered with Ministry work at the moment. I'll handle it when I get to my office."

"Bold of you to use that tone with me in my own home."

"Bold of you to knock on my door before 8 am. However, I guess we'll both move on from these issues." He looked at me for a moment, almost debating if he was going to speak before deciding not to. While Draco and Narcissa were always two of my favorite people, Lucius never sat right with me. And since he'd been the reason Draco almost died, I really didn't care for him. It worked out considering he feared me and what I could do as the Dark Lord's granddaughter. I shut the door before getting ready for work. A small part of me broke when the pants clasped so easily. I didn't look at myself in the mirror for more than five minutes. I simply washed my face, put my hair up in a bun, and did minimal makeup so I wouldn't look so exhausted. I grabbed my stuff before walking downstairs. Wormtail brought me my coffee as soon as I stepped onto the main floor. "Thank you."