chapter two: dinner with slughorn

I made it through the rest of the week and sadly found myself sitting at a table with about ten other students as Slughorn rambled on and on about his connections before turning to each of us to see if we knew anyone or anything worth his time. We were all dressed rather nicely. I found a seat next to Blaise who was wearing a black button down and dark jeans. I had worn a dark green, one shoulder jumpsuit with a black leather jacket that I had taken off and hung up upon my arrival.

"Now, Ms. Prince, I regret to say I don't know much about your family," Slughorn pointed out, turning his attention to me. I truly hoped he knew absolutely nothing of my heritage. "Of course, in school you're a superb student, Prefect, Head Girl, absolutely brilliant. I assume your parents were the same way."

"My parents actually didn't attend Hogwarts," I explained, picking up my drink.

"Oh, did they go abroad?"

"I believe so." I actually had no idea. My grandfather didn't talk about them much, at all if he could help it, but I knew they didn't attend Hogwarts because he always blamed their lack of power on that. I'm sure they were too busy running from him to worry about a proper education.

"Has any of your family gone to Hogwarts?"

"My grandfather," I nodded. I felt Harry's interest perk up. I avoided the topic of my family if I could help it so I knew he would eat up every word I let out. He had had his suspicions of me and my blood since his second year when the Chamber of Secrets was reopening. That, however, proved to be Tom Riddle, which wasn't that far off from me.

"Really? Marvelous, what years was he here?"

"I'm not quite sure," I lied, pretending to think. "It would've been 60 or 70 years ago at this point so I doubt you and your youthfulness would have taught him." He let out a hearty laugh, and I stole a contemptuous look at Harry. He'd clearly hoped to get more out of me.

"Oh, Ms. Prince, you and your flattery. You remind me of a past student of mine..." he trailed off, his smile faltering slightly. "Of course, you are absolutely nothing like him, just the flattery is similar." He was most definitely referring to my grandfather without even knowing it. He cleared his throat, moving to Blaise. "Now Mr. Zabini..."

I took a sip of my drink, leaning back in my seat. Harry whispered something to Hermione before they both looked at me. I smirked before turning my attention to Blaise. The rest of the meal was just as invasive as the latter. However, the light stayed off of me, which I was very glad about. Talking about my family wasn't exactly my favorite topic. While those who know are ignited with a weird mixture of fear and respect, around here it would make me utterly condemned. What nobody knew and could never know, I wasn't the biggest fan of my heritage either. Of course, nobody would believe me if they knew so I just didn't say anything about who I was or where I came from. Despite the dinner dragging on, we were eventually free to go.

"What the hell did we just sit through?" I asked as Blaise helped me slip on my jacket.

"Who knows," he mumbled, grabbing his off the hook. "Let's just get out of here."

"See you all in the halls," Slughorn called as we walked out.

"He's really something," I sighed, putting my hands in my pockets.

"All he cares about is who we know."

"My grandfather says all he cares about is connections, but that he's full of information. Seemed to like him when he was in school here."

"Your grandfather knew him?" Blaise questioned.

"Yeah, Slughorn was his Potions professor when he was here."

"I wonder if he knows you're related. Seemed pretty peeved he couldn't get anything out of you about your family." I glanced behind us to see Harry, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville. They were already looking at us before we rounded the corner. "Of course, nobody ever gets anything out of you about your family."

"I like to keep an air of mystery," I joked. I looked down at my side. "Oh no."

"What?"

"It's nothing. I just think I forgot my bag back there so I'm going to run back."

"I didn't think you brought a bag."

"I think I'd remember if I brought a bag or not."

"Well, I'll walk back with-"

"No, I'm fine. I'll see you at breakfast tomorrow." I walked back before he could stop me. As I made my way around the corner, I bumped into Ginny. "Watch it, Weasley."

"You ran into me," she argued, stepping forward. Ginny and I's personalities often clashed, but luckily, we rarely saw each other because of the class and house difference. We might've bumped into each other on purpose a time or two in Quidditch. I glared at her as Harry stepped in between us.

"I'm not here to argue," I scoffed, crossing my arms. "But it's good to know who fights your battles." I rushed down the hall, Neville jumping out of the way. I turned the corner and, once I knew no one could see me, made my way up to the Astronomy Tower. Despite having stopped taking Astronomy after OWLs, it was my favorite subject. Maybe it had something to do with the night or maybe it had to do with the deserted tower, but I always came up here when I needed a moment to think or just be without any expectations brewing over me. Somehow the night always gave that to me.