chapter fifty-five: the preparations

We stayed there for another hour or so and talked about the steps we'd have to take, what I knew about the Order, how his family was. It was good to finally see eye to eye with someone who was as immersed as I was. "The important thing to do is to act as you normally would. Don't talk to me any more than you normally do, don't slip me secret notes by themselves, just act as you normally would. Because as long as you can do that, we're going to make it. We're so close. So close it hurts."

"It's going to be over soon."

"Ah, now you're sounding like a Weasley, Percy," I smiled. "Let's do this."

We got back to the Ministry and kept on with our jobs. Things were slowly crumbling. Just like they needed to. Half the horcruxes had been destroyed: the diary, ring, locket.... that left the snake, the Hufflepuff Cup, and the Ravenclaw Diadem. Plus, of course, Harry, but I couldn't tell him. I couldn't tell anyone.

"Percy?" I called as I flipped through a file in my office.

"Yes?" he asked, coming to my door.

"Where are my records from Gringotts? I sent Dolohov hours ago."

"You didn't hear?"

I looked up from the paper I was reading. "Hear what?" Fifteen minutes later, I stormed into Gringotts. The doors slammed open, and everyone jumped, looking over at me. "Who is going to tell me what the hell happened and how the hell you let Harry Potter escape from the most heavily guarded building on a dragon?" Everyone nervously looked around. I pointed to one of the goblins. "Speak. Now."

"I, we had no way of knowing he was here. Or that that wasn't Mrs. Lestrange." He pointed to the security guards. "They made it through our concealment security." I turned to look at them.

"Is that true?"

"Well, our systems didn't alert us."

"Are they malfunctioning?"

"I'm not sure." I rolled my eyes, walking up to them. I grabbed their radars and pulled out my wand. I cast the disillusionment charm on the other security guard before holding up the radar. It beeped.

"Well, look at that. It detects the weakest of concealment magic. So why wouldn't it detect the even bigger, more obvious concealment charms such as polyjuice potions and invisibility cloaks? Can you explain that to me?"

"No."

I blew them both against the wall. "Useless." I glared around the room. "You pride yourselves on being the best keepers of all things sacred?" I looked at each of the goblins. "Pathetic." I set the radar on the counter. "Repair this building. Up your security. Do not let this happen again or so help me you will never see the light of day ever again. Understand?" They mumbled agreements. "Now take me down to the Lestrange vault. I need to see what's missing." I followed the Head Goblin who led me down to the vault. The contents of the vault had overflowed into the area the dragon used to be in. I moved things aside with a flick of my wand as I walked. "What did they take?"

"We can't be sure until we do a sweep of the area. Once we..." I didn't hear the rest of what he said. When I saw a pile of duplicated cups, I knew exactly why they had come. I just had to pray they had gotten it.

"You better let me know the moment you find out what is missing, got it?"

We went back upstairs, and I left. I apparated back to the office and within a few hours, the report had arrived.

"Larissa, the letter from Gringotts came," Percy announced as he entered my office.

"Thank you, Percy," I nodded, taking the letter. He waited as I opened the letter.