chapter sixteen: locker room banter

Once we were all in the locker room, no one really spoke until Miles slammed down his bag. "Well this is just great." We all looked at him, but he was looking directly at me.

"You're pissed at me?" I questioned. "What the hell did I do besides not use a timeout to fix my broom? Which, by the way, would've pissed you off more."

"You could've told me your broom was jinxed, you could've checked your broom before the game, or you know, maybe not get on the back of the competition's broom."

"Well, no one else was there to help me," I pointed out. "Also, my broom worked just fine until about twenty minutes into the game. There was nothing wrong with it that I could've caught."

"Probably wouldn't have caught it unless it was pointed out by Weasel," Adrian muttered.

"What the hell did you just say?" I snapped.

"Doesn't matter. What matters is that if our star chaser would actually focus on the game, then we would've won by more than 70 points," Miles complained.

"What do you mean star chaser?" Cassius asked.

"We still won, didn't we?" I questioned, standing up and ignoring Cassius.

"Points matter in the Quidditch cup, Prince," he argued. "If we don't win by at least 90 points against Ravenclaw and Gryffindor beats Hufflepuff by 60 or more, then we lose."

"Then we'll have to win by 90 next time. Maybe if whoever jinxed my broom didn't do that, then I'd score more," I pointed out, crossing my arms.

"Who jinxed your broom? Was it Potter?"

I glanced at Draco who I felt knew more than he let on before shrugging. "I don't know who the hell it was. If I did, don't you think they'd be a little less alive right now?"

He looked at me for a moment before rolling his eyes. "Just make sure your broom is fixed by practice tomorrow."

"It will be."

He picked up his bag before leaving. I went to leave too when I heard someone mumble something, which caused Crabbe and Goyle to snicker. I turned back. "Got something to say, Pucey?"

"No."

"No, no, come on. I'd love to hear the joke."

He shrugged. "I just said that this is what happens when you let a girl join the team," Pucey repeated. Draco gave me a look to not go any further, but I ignored him.

"So that's your issue? You're pissed because I'm a girl?" I scoffed.

"All I'm saying is that this never happened when Montague was our third chaser."

"Yeah? And you haven't had this many major wins in a single season for the last eight years. And spoiler alert, the last Slytherin team that had it this good had a female seeker."

"Well maybe being a seeker is more suitable for a girl than a chaser. Wouldn't want you to break a nail if the bludger gets too close. Good thing you had Crabbe, Goyle, and a Weasley watching out for you." He scoffed. "Even with all that help, you still couldn't keep your broom under control."

"That's it," I snapped, pulling out my wand. I went to fire a spell at him when Draco stood up.

"Okay, okay, let's just take a break." He looked at me for a moment. "Okay?"

I took a deep breath, looking at Adrian behind him. I shook my head, grabbing my bag off the floor. "Get your head out of your ass, Adrian. Or I'll make it so you don't have a choice."