chapter forty-seven: the prince's tale

I apparated to Hogsmeade. I wanted to walk into Hogwarts to give myself time to think. However, even as I walked up the stairs, I had no idea what I would ask Snape. I just knew I needed to ask him. I made my way up to his office, passing McGonagall on the way.

"Minister," she all but scoffed, glancing at me. "I didn't know you were gracing us with your presence."

"I didn't either," I admitted before continuing up the stairs. I felt her eyes on me, and I tried to recall how shaky my voice was or if the tears stinging my eyes were too obvious. I'd already admitted my weaknesses to too many people. I walked up to the headmaster's office, pausing before I knocked.

"Come in," Snape spoke from the other side. He looked up from his desk. "Minister, it's the middle of the day, shouldn't you be at the Ministry?" I didn't say anything. "I didn't know you were planning to come." I shut the door with my back to him, trying to decide what to say. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"We're related?" I asked. He didn't say anything. I turned around to look at him. "You've had all these years to tell me that we're related. Albeit, cousins of some sort, but still. Especially lately, when we've both realized we're on the same page?" I had tears stinging the edges of my eyes, and I momentarily saw his demeanor waver. "All these months that I've felt alone. That I've come to you for help. You could've told me something. Anything."

"It wasn't my place."

I scoffed, running a hand into my hair. "Wasn't your place? I deserved to know. Maybe if I knew I had more than him, I wouldn't have felt so trapped. Maybe I wouldn't have tried to kill myself." He looked away. "Twice."

"He told me he didn't want you to know."

"Of course, he didn't," I argued, taking a few steps forward. "He wanted me to be as alone as possible. He wanted to be my only source of actual contact. Sure I have friends, sure I have people, but they all fear me. We might laugh, we might have fun, but I'm not their equal, and they know it. I'm not their companion because they want me to be. They are scared of me. They are scared of what might happen if I don't like them. And if I rise to power, maybe they will too. But that's not friendship. So I've spent 18 years alone when I could've at least known in the back of my mind that I had you too. I wouldn't have known you felt the same way I did, but I would've known I had someone with a heart left. I would've felt a little bit better knowing someone from my humane ancestors was left." He didn't say anything. I stared up at him with my arms crossed, waiting for him to give me any sort of explanation. When he continued the silence, I scoffed, shaking my head. "I was really hoping I'd come here and get some apology. Some sort of familial response. But to hell with it. If I can make it this long without you batting an eyelash, then I'll do the rest by myself too."

I turned back. I was about to open the door when he finally spoke up. "You think you did everything by yourself?" he asked. "You think I left you to fight for yourself?" I didn't turn around. "Do you know how many nights I spent at your father's house when I was little because my parents were too busy arguing?" He paused for a moment. "When he told me who your mother was, and that the Dark Lord didn't even know she was his, I couldn't believe it. Then he told me they were running away together, I told him he was crazy. And he said just enough." He paused. "He disappeared for over a year. I honestly thought I would never see him again." He slammed his hand on his desk, and I tensed up, looking back at him. He'd turned around so he was facing away from me with his hands on his desk. "Then he showed up at my house. In the pouring rain, with a crying baby." The silence was deafening. "He told me your mother had died, but the Dark Lord had somehow found out about you and was looking for both of you. When he showed me the birthmark, I knew he'd been waiting for you." He looked out the window. "So I promised him that if anything happened, I would protect you. Because when someone comes to you, scared out of their mind for their child, you make any promises they want." He turned to look at me, and his gaze hurt. "And I did. When he died and the Dark Lord brought you back, I made sure to watch out for you. I didn't let him kill you. The prophecy talks about your power and how extensive it would be. How no one would be prepared for it. He thought you'd rise against him one day, but I convinced him you could be raised up to be his right hand. That you were the closest thing to another him he would be able to create. That his blood ran in your veins, and he should give you a chance. I couldn't protect you from everything, but I kept you alive and took as many tasks from you as he would let me. So don't say I left you alone. Don't say that I didn't help you because I've killed more people on your behalf than I would like to admit. You were never alone." His voice shook slightly. "Ever."

I looked at him for a moment with my mouth ajar. I cleared my throat. "I, I didn't know you were close."

"Of course you didn't," he scoffed, throwing an arm up. He looked out the window like he was trying to decide what to say. I crossed my arms. "I should've told you."

"That would've been nice."

"I was worried he'd find out somehow."

"You're the one who trained me in occlumency. I think I'm pretty damn good," I pointed out.

"You take after your father. Elias learned it with barely any practice." I smiled slightly.

"When this is all over, I'll have to pick your brain about my parents."

He smiled ever so slightly. "I don't know much about your mother, but I've got several stories about your father."

"I'd love to hear them," I nodded. "The fact that we're related was a great bombshell for the Dark Lord to drop in the middle of finding out he slipped me the termintur." He looked back at me.

"He what?"

"Nothing is safe from him," I stated though there was clear pain in my voice. "So I spent another miserable night alone before going to the Ministry the next day to find Harry Potter had broken in."

"I heard about that. Sounds like the Dark Lord was not very happy about that."

"He wasn't. That's why I'm currently looking for a new Head of Security. Know anyone looking for a job?" He hummed. "I didn't come here to talk about the mistake I made or the hurt he's caused. I came here because Harry was at the Ministry in search of this." I waved my wand over my hand, causing the picture of Umbridge to appear in my hand.

"Did he want her autograph?" he asked, taking the picture when I held it out.

"No." I followed him to his desk, sitting in front of it. "He was looking for the locket she was wearing." His eyebrow went up. "And he knew exactly why he was looking for it."

He met my eyes. "You know?"

"I had my suspicions for a long time. Then when I heard you and Dumbledore talking about the ring, I knew."

"How much of that conversation did you hear?"

"Nearly all of it." I scooted closer. "You're going to tell me everything. I'm sick of these surprises. I've been put through the ringer too many times." He considered this for a moment before handing me the picture back. I sent it back to my office. "Well?"

He picked up his wand, locking the door and shutting the curtains. "Where do you want me to start?"