chapter forty-one: get out alive

Before he could fire a spell at me, I threw his wand across the room. He stood up, but I just looked up at him. "Now, Harold, calm down. Sit before the polyjuice wears off so we can make a plan."

"We?" he scoffed. "After everything I just heard, the last thing I'd ever do is make a plan with you. George was-"

"Don't," I snapped, standing up. I'm sure my eyes were full of anger and hurt because he took a step back. "Don't you dare talk about him." I swallowed my tears. "Now sit back down."

"Or what? You'll call your security? I'm not alone."

"Oh, trust me, I know," I nodded, sitting down. "Ron is working in Yaxley's office, and Hermione is down with that dreadful Dolores. Truthfully, I'd rather be getting drowned in Yaxley's office right now." He just stared at me. "Well, if you refuse to sit down, you're welcome to walk out of my office, and I will act none the wiser that you're here, until I am alerted by someone else."

"And if I sit down?"

I gave him a gentle smile, leaning forward on my desk. "Then I can help you create a plan that will get you and a hell of a lot of muggleborns out of the Ministry as quickly as possible." He was taken aback. "Considering you were so keen to throw George in my face, I'm sure he's tried to convince you that I'm not who I appear to be."

"Yeah, he um, he mentioned you once or twice or a million times."

I held back a smile. "While I'd rather him see me as evil, I do not condone most of what I'm forced to take part in. Please understand that."

"I do," he nodded, sitting down but remaining on the edge of his seat. He studied me for a moment.

"What?"

"You look exhausted."

"I'm sure if you were in your natural state then you would too," I sighed, looking down at my desk. "Searching for ways to manipulate laws you don't agree with is exhausting."

"Larissa, I'm sorry for what I said. If I'd known you-"

"No worries, Harry," I interrupted. "Seeing my face on the cover of the Daily Prophet doesn't exactly invite pleasant views. I'd always envisioned a happier reign as Minister, but it wouldn't be my life if it went that way." I cleared my throat, sitting up straighter. "But enough of that. We have to plan fast. You'll need to head down to the lowest level. Do you remember where your trial was held?"

"Yeah, I, how do you know about that?"

"Pretty sure the entire school knows, Harry, but honestly, I know so much more than you'll ever realize, and I can't answer where I got all my information so let's move on."

"Right," he nodded.

"Okay, so head down there. You'll want to take the third door on your right. That will lead you directly into the courtroom where Dolores is trying Mary Cattermole right now. Hermione will be in there. The fourth door on the right is the one you'll need to come out of. It's full of dementors watching those awaiting their trial. I know you can cast a patronus so please be ready to or this will all be for nothing. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about a Dementor's Kiss."

"How can I get Mary out?"

"You'll have to take out Dolores and Yaxley. Between you and Hermione and the element of surprise, you'll be fine. After that, you just need to wrangle up as many of the people waiting for their trial as you can and get them out. Talk with authority and people will listen to you. You might not know who Albert Runcorn is, but he is an ass that everyone fears. While I wish he didn't actually suggest those plans to me, he did. And I, at some point, am expected to relay them to the Dark Lord. All this to say, act like you're supposed to be here, and you'll clear a path almost as fast as me."