chapter forty-three: a new perspective

George's pov

I looked up from the Daily Prophet as my dad shut the door. "How was work?"

"Fine," he sighed, hanging up his jacket. "I had a run in with your girlfriend today."

I shut the paper, leaning forward. "Really? Is she okay?"

"She's fine. Sending muggleborns to their death is a leisurely task."

"Dad, stop. You know-"

"I also saw that she had gotten a letter from Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes of all places. Didn't know you two were running an advertising campaign." He gave me a glare. "I've told you you cannot be reaching out to her."

"She's alone, Dad," I argued, setting down the paper. "I can't just shut her out."

"Yes, you can," he demanded, and I sighed, running a hand down my face. We'd had this argument at least a million times. "Every move we make is imperative right now, George. We can't afford to make mistakes."

"She's not a mistake," I yelled, standing up. "You don't get to call her that. I'm so sick of nobody listening to me."

"How can we?" he scoffed, throwing his arms up. "This girl you're defending is signing orders left and right to kill people and send others to be taught under Snape. They're probably laughing over tea right now at how they managed to trick us."

"No, they aren't," I defended, hitting the table. "I can't speak for Snape, but Larissa is not like that."

"What would you know?" he asked as the back door opened. Lupin walked in, looking between us. "Of course, you don't think she's bad. You love her, or you think you do, but she's evil, George. She's his granddaughter. Charm is their specialty. Charm got You-Know-Who through Hogwarts undetected, and it's getting her through life in the same way."

"I'm not just going to let you talk about her like that. It's not fair."

"Not fair?" he yelled, running a hand into his hair. "Not fair? You want to know what's not fair? Percy is out working under the cabinet she's set up, and Ron is out who knows where doing God knows what, and all I can do is continue working to-"

"What on earth is going on down here?" Mom asked, walking into the kitchen. "I can hear you all the way up-"

"Ron?" I interrupted, picking up the paper. "You're worried about Ron? Seems you aren't that intuitive either, Dad, because Ron was right under your nose today." I dropped the paper in front of him. Surprise filled his face. He picked it up, skimming the article. Mom quickly leaned over his side to read it too. She gasped.

"I, what?" he whispered.

"And before you start bashing Larissa again-"

"I was right there," he mumbled, sitting down at the table across from me. "He was in the elevator with me, and I, I thought he was acting weird, but I, I had no idea."

"Well, who would've?" I asked, motioning to the paper. "They snuck right in."

"But, Larissa, she had a meeting with Runcorn after I saw her. She said so in the lift." He looked up at me. "Do you think she knew it was Harry?"

"If she didn't know at that moment, I'm sure she figured it out," I shrugged, crossing my arms. "She's a master at Legilimency. Of course, when she found out, she didn't turn them in because they made it out, and considering she wasn't found jinxed in her office, I'm sure she helped them."

"Why would she do that?" Dad asked, looking up at me. "You're probably just giving her more credit than she deserves. Harry was trained in Occlumency. He can shut people out."