chapter eighteen: while it's dark

I looked around at the chaos around me. Fighting seemed to be everywhere. Someone backed into me. I quickly turned around, holding my wand out only to see George was doing the same.

"Weasley, damn it," I cursed, lowering my wand. "You shouldn't be here. It isn't safe."

"I could say the same for you," he pointed out. "Nothing's safe right now. For either of you."

"I don't have a choice."

"And you think I do?"

"Bravery doesn't mean stupidity."

"Have you met me?"

"Our paths have crossed a few times," I smirked, crossing my arms. A smirk spread across his face as he glanced around the room. "I'm doing what I can."

"I know," he sighed. "It's just all so insane right now." I nodded. "Can you do something for me?"

"Depends."

"Find Fred and make sure he's not being stupid. He gets carried away sometimes, and I don't want anything to happen."

"What about you?"

"I'll be okay."

"I need to stay with you."

"No, go find Fred then go help other people."

"Weasley, I don't-"

"George."

"What?"

"Neither of us know what's going to happen so call me George."

"Don't talk like this. You aren't going to die."

"Are you?"

"I'll do what I have to do."

"No, you won't. I get a say in what happens to you, too."

"That's not how it works, George," I scoffed. "I have a legacy. There's prophecies about me."

"Just that you're the Heir. Not that you have to be evil. And definitely not that you have to die here."

"What do you think being the Heir requires? It's not a life of rainbows and sunshine. It would be ignorant to not accept what I've been dealt. Trust me, I've tried."

"But you can make a choice right now. Help us. Fight against him."

"The way you want me to help you is by making sure your brother is alive?"

"He was fighting some death eaters with Percy. They might need help."

"You might need help."

"Larissa, please."

"I love you," I blurted out. He smiled.

"I love you too. More and more everyday." That was all I needed to hear.

"Please be safe."

"You too, princess."

I turned around a moment later and as soon as I did, there was an explosion. I turned around to see George blown back against a wall. My scream was inaudible to me. I ran up to him, immediately falling beside him. "George, no, no, this isn't happening," I sobbed, searching for some way to help him. But my words were lost in the battle around us.

***

I woke up, gasping for air. Okay, okay. It was just a dream. I laid back down, trying to calm my breathing so Celeste wouldn't wake up. Everytime I shut my eyes, I pictured the scene so I gave up on sleeping.