chapter thirty: the night everything changed

"Fred? What are you doing here?" I asked. "Come crawling back before you even opened the shop?"

"Oh, the shop's up and running. You should come by and see it sometime. Unless, of course, you'd rather just go straight upstairs like last time. I'm sure that would be George's invitation."

I rolled my eyes. "Leave me be, Weasel," I snapped, continuing down the hall.

"Hey, I'm just wondering if next time I enter my room, I'll find my brother naked or working on jokes," he teased, following me. "I mean, you're welcome anytime I suppose. I just think we should develop a code if this is going to be a regular thing."

"It won't be. Trust me."

"Why? Did something happen?"

"Too much is happening. I've got work to do."

"Heir work?" he questioned.

"So he told you," I scoffed.

"It slipped out."

"Just leave me be. Tonight's an important night."

"Why?"

"It just is."

"But why?"

"Can you just give it up?" I snapped, spinning back to look at him. I apparently spun too fast as the bottles fell out of my pocket. "Bloody hell." I went to pick them up, but Fred beat me to it. He examined the bottles. "Give them back."

"You know, I've only ever seen one potion this color," he pointed out, holding the bottle of graviditation to the light. It was clear with a fluorescent outline to it. It almost glittered. "My mother used it when she found out she was..." He slowly lowered his hand. "Wait. Are you-"

"No," I interrupted, grabbing the bottle from his hand along with the others. "Well, I don't know yet."

"You have to tell George."

"I'll choose to do what I wish. Things are about to happen that will make a baby the last thing on his mind." He glanced down at the other bottles in my hands before meeting my eyes.

"If you don't, I will."

"Do whatever the hell you want, Weasley, but I'll choose to do the same." I turned around, continuing down the hall. I made it to my dorm and grabbed the few things I needed to make sure to bring. I looked across at the Astronomy Tower to see Harry and Dumbledore talking. I needed to hurry. I waved my wand over the bag I'd shoved my things in so it would apparate to my room at Malfoy Manor before hurrying back down. I was halfway across the courtyard before I heard someone that stopped me dead in my tracks.

"Princess?" The gentle voice of none other than George Weasley never ceased to give me butterflies. However, this time, I don't think it was butterflies that filled my stomach. I clenched my fist, biting the inside of my cheek.

"Not now," I shook my head. Before I could take a step, he grabbed my hand. I could've broken down right there. I stayed turned away. "What is it with you and Fred? Didn't you just drop out a week ago?"

"Had to come back and tie up a few loose ends. It's not easy running a business you know."

"Tell me why you're really here."

He turned me around, tilting my head up to look at him. "Why did you need that potion?"

"If Fred told you what potion it was, I'm sure you can guess."

"No, not the graviditation," he shook his head. "The termintur potion."

I pulled my hand free. "Don't worry about it."