chapter forty-four: night run

I had to go see George. There was no question about it now. I just had to find the right night to do it. I didn't get a chance to go see him for a week. I was stuck late at the Ministry, then called away to help out with an invasion, and finally had to answer some questions for the Prophet. But the moment I had a spare evening, I snuck away.

I arrived in Diagon Alley around midnight. I saw the main store lights were already off, leaving the interior illuminated by a few dim lights. I looked around before pulling my hood lower on my face. I pulled out my wand, apparating inside. I knew he'd be down soon, times were too dangerous not to put up some alarm for apparating intruders. In the meantime, I looked at all they had managed to accomplish in such a short time. I picked up one of the jokes they'd tested on Snape. For the first time in weeks, I let a smile slip. I heard footsteps come down the stairs.

"I hate to break it to you, but we're closed," George spoke up. "You can fulfill all your pranking needs tomorrow." I looked up to see his reflection in the window in front of me. I smiled softly, holding up the little bomb in my hand.

"It's nice to see you keep the classics in stock."

His whole demeanor changed after he heard my voice. I set down the item before slipping off my hood. "Larissa, what, what are you doing here?"

"I wanted to come see what you've been working on," I explained, turning around to face him. "And I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I'm fine," he muttered. I couldn't help but notice him glance down at my stomach.

"I can explain."

He scoffed. "What's there to explain?" When I didn't answer, he shook his head. "I think you should just go." He walked over to the door, opening it. I looked at him for a moment, my heart breaking.

"You really want me to go?" I asked. "But you told me to come and-"

"I can't talk to you right now."

"George, you don't understand," I begged, walking up to him. He wouldn't meet my eyes. "Please just look at me."

"You need to go. I'm sure you've got a lot of Ministry work to attend to."

"Stop. You don't mean that."

"I just, I can't do this right now."

"But you just sent me that-"

"Just leave, Larissa."

"I can't leave like this."

"You had no problem doing it last time," he snapped. I went to speak again, but he stopped me. "Just go."

I crossed my arms, blinking back the tears that threatened to fall. My throat burned, causing me to not argue. Instead, I pulled my hood up and walked outside. I heard him lock the door. For a moment, I was going to leave. The small voice inside of me knew there was no point in coming back, but I needed to believe I was wrong. I turned back, walking up to the glass. George was a few feet away from the door with his back to me. His hands rested on the counter with his head fallen between his shoulders. I cleared my throat, putting my hand on the glass.

"George, please," I spoke softly. I knew he could hear me because he straightened up. "It's not what you think." He didn't move. I sighed, looking around. The last thing I needed was someone seeing me and word getting back to the Ministry. "I got your letter. I've probably read it a million times. It was the only thing getting me through every day. And I promised myself I'd keep the baby because of what you promised." He gripped the side of the table. "I was going to keep the baby. If it were up to me, I would still be pregnant." I put my hand on the doorknob, hoping he would unlock it. When it didn't move, I sighed. "Fine, don't let me in. It serves me right, but I, I came here to tell you something." I tried to find the right words before laughing lightly. "I feel like there's not a right moment to say this, but you said it so easily in the letters, and I wanted you to know that I feel the same way." I paused for a moment. "I love you too." When he didn't move, I nodded, accepting what I'd done. I turned to walk away. Ruined everything once again. I gasped as I heard the lock click. I looked at him before reaching for the doorknob. The door slowly opened, and I stepped in.